Tuesday 28 May 2019

Hot 100 #38


38 Special are a Southern rock band formed by Donnie Van Zant, the younger brother of Lynyrd Skynyrd singer Ronnie.

As Martin identified in last week's comments, loads of songs make mention of the Smith & Wesson .38 Special, and though he chose not to mention them "in the spirit of gun control", that didn't stop the rest of you! I was metaphorically blown away by the following fully-loaded suggestions from...

Rigid Digit:

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Saturday Night Special

And as a man's reaching for his trousers
Shoots him full of 38 holes

Mark Knopfler - 38 Special

Lynchie:

Warren Zevon - I'll Sleep When I'm Dead

I've got a .38 special up on the shelf
I'll sleep when I'm dead
If I start acting stupid
I'll shoot myself
I'll sleep when I'm dead

George:

Robert Johnson - 32-30 Blues

She got a 38 special but I believe its much too light
I got a 32-20, got to make the camps alright

And Brian, who explains...
All roads lead back to Nick Lowe. Going with "Me and My .38" by Carlene Carter off of 'Blue Nun' from 1981. This one was co-written and produced by then husband Lowe. She's backed by Lowe's band at the time... Paul Carrack, Martin Belmont, James Eller and Bobby Irwin. Love this album. Tough broad. When she leaves the key under the mat, you better show up or you'll have a double date with her and her .38.
I wish I could find that somewhere online, Brian, because it sounds like a cracker. Sadly, the internet let me down. However, I'll see your Nick Lowe suggestion and raise you this...

Nick Lowe - Switchboard Susan

When I'm near you girl, I get an extension
And I don't mean Alexander Graham Bell's invention
Switchboard Susan, can we be friends?
After six, at weekends

Hey babe, your number's great
38-27-38
Oh you bring a smile to my dial
Oh you're great, operator's great

Sticking with the smut, here's C, who went all Gallic on us this week...

Charlotte Gainsbourg - Les Oxalis

Sa mère Marie-Camille
Repose à ses côtés
Elle survit à sa fille
Encore 38 années

I'm not putting that into google translate, but I bet it's mucky.

Back to Martin then, who clearly thinks he's identified a smart way of winning this game: just choose songs by my favourite artists. (Although Lynchie's still smarting that this tactic didn't work for him last week.)

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - Her Last Fling

And now you're underweight
And overpaid
You will not be saved
And you're pushing 38

Billy Joel - Leningrad

I was born in 49 
A cold war kid in the McCarthy times
Stop 'em at the 38th parallel 
Blast those yellow reds to hell 
Cold war kids were hard to kill 
Under their desks in an air raid drill 
Haven't they heard we won the war 
What do they keep on fighting for?

Ooh... I tell you what, Martin, that came close. It really did.

Well, that almost takes care of your suggestions this week, so here's a few thrown up by my own hard-drive...

The Wonder Stuff - 38 Line Poem

Whiteout - Thirty Eight

ELO - 10538 Overture

(Yeah, I know that last one would get quickly disqualified if one of you suggested it, but it's still a belter if you like Jeff Lynne shamelessly ripping off the Beatles.)

And a couple of lyrical drops...

Johnny Cash - The Wreck of the Old '97

They give him his orders at Monroe, Virginia
Sayin', "Steve you're way behind time
This is not Thirty-Eight, but it's old Ninety-Seven
You must put her in Spencer on time"

Donald Fagen - Planet D'Rhonda

She’s from a small town somewhere upstate
I guess she’s somewhere between 19 and 38
She stays up all night – she drives too fast
I say easy baby- baby slow down
It’s never gonna happen
On Planet D’Rhonda

And finally, because I have no shame...

Bon Jovi - Social Disease

She's full of high grade octane
She could run the bullet train on 38 Double D's
Now you know for sure, she know the cure
To make a blind man see

But, I'm sure it comes with great relief that Douglas saved you all from having to listen to Jon Bon Jovi's boob-inspired lyrics this week by suggesting this cracking story song from his oft-requested Canadian heroes, The Tragically Hip. I have a weakness for story songs, particularly when they involve breaking out of prison.



37 next week. Any ideas?


9 comments:

  1. How about We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37) from So by Peter Gabriel?

    Or, very different, 37 by DEVO, lamenting someone's enviably low IQ?

    Perhaps 37 Push-Ups by Smog? I can only find this ropey live cover version, but you get the idea...

    Lyrically, Femme Fatale by The Velvet Underground has the line You're put down in her book, you're number 37, have a look.

    And, er, Volvo Cowgirl by Sheryl Crow has a line along the lines of 37 million's what Larry Parker got me...

    Nearly forgot 37 Hours by Kristin Hersh.

    That's enough, isn't it? More than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr Hook & The Medicine Show - "The Ballad Of Lucy Jordon"

    "At the age of 37 she realised she'd never
    Ride through Paris in a sports car with the warm wind in her hair"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's got to be the winner though preferably the Marianne Faithful version

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, got to be the winner. Think the Marianne version has appeared over at CC's place, or was it here? Definitely remember leaving a comment about the lyric, as at my age 37 seems really young - loads of time to do stuff like riding through Paris in a sports car.

      Delete
  3. Ricky Nelson - "Ain't Nothin' But Love"

    "When you kiss her goodnight 37 times
    That ain't nothin' but love"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter Gabriel - We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Straight in at 37 by The Beautiful South
    Aisle Seat 37 D By Grandaddy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tim McGraw - Number 37405

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...