Friday 10 May 2019

The United Kingdom of Song #30: Leicester


I have loads of songs in my collection that mention Leicester Square (farewell, and all that), but all of them are about London, not the East Midlands city of Leicester, a place that crops up in songs far less.

Famous musical children of Leicester include Engelbert Humperdinck (who was born in India, but moved to Leicester when he was 10), 80s rockers Diesel Park West, Kasabian (who namedrop their hometown in Treat), Peel favourites Gaye Bykers on Acid, Mark Morrison, Showaddywaddy, and a couple of great bassists: John Illsley from Dire Straits and John Deacon from Queen (the sensible one, who retired when The Game was up).

The Fall stop off at Leicester Polytechnic (probably a uni now) in Words of Expectation, and I might have had to inflict all 9 minutes of that on you this week were it not for a last minute save from East Kilbride's finest, Roddy Frame. No idea why he mentions Leicester (or who Leicester's left-it-lad might be) in this tune originally included on the 12" of Oblivious... but I'm glad he did.

We'll be wired with the force of a wave
We'll be leaving with the force of a wave
It's like, "but how can I help it, if they break then they break
When my hands are untied they're entitled to shake"
It's like, I look to Leicester's left-it-lad
And the sickness was singing and the song it was sad
It should be haywire
Haywire!



3 comments:

  1. I have gone from Nick Lowe at John's place to Roddy Frame here. Can't have a better start to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love his voice - will have to write about them at my place soon. No idea who Leicester's left-it-lad might be either - Gary Lineker?! That Poly will definitely be a "Uni" now - hate that shortened word everyone uses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a very good post indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it in my lunch time. Will surely come and visit this blog more often. Thanks for sharing.
    Webdesign

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...