Thursday 26 September 2019

2019 Contenders: Scottish Songbook


I used to be quite sniffy about covers albums, but lately I've heard some really good ones. And here's one of the best, from a lady who can do no wrong in my ears, Karine Polwart.

All the songs she's covered in her Scottish Songbook are from fellow Scots, and there are some great covers of artists as diverse as Deacon Blue, John Martyn, Biffy Clyro, The Waterboys, Gerry Rafferty and Chvrches. Not a bad song to be heard, some of them (whisper it) better than the originals. Here's one of my favourites, from the late, much-lamented Frightened Rabbit...


2 comments:

  1. Just lovely. And the original one of my favourite songs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was abut dubious about this one but suspect that I'll succumb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...