Tuesday 15 September 2020

Name That Tune: Our Top Ten Alison Songs


I had half a mind to feature Alison Krauss at the top of this post, until George said:

I'm sure some one will suggest Alison Moyet but it sure as hell won't be me.

After that, my mind was made up. After all, I have a lot of time for Alison Moyet, writer of one of the smuttiest pop songs ever to find its way into the pop charts (Prince excepted). Let's just say I don't think she's singing about the flu jab in this song.

As for Allison Krauss... well, I did find this nice little tribute.

The Stills - Allison Krauss

Jim in Dubai also put forward these guys...

The Allisons - Are you Sure?

Finger-snappin' goodness.

What did you have for me that didn't make the Top Ten?

We'll start with Rigid Digit... who also reminds us of Alison Goldfrapp.

This won't make the Top 10, but...

Annihilator - Alison Hell

...my question is, how much were they paid by Richard Branson for the free advertising?

This probably should...

Alison Gross - Steeleye Span

It was on the shortlist.

Walter suggested this from my shortlist...

The Pixies - Allison

As well as a couple more strong contenders...

Lagwagon - Alison's Disease 

Waxahatchee -Witches

There's nothing here to gain 
Allison always had a heavy disdain 
For every link in that old chain

John Medd was still stinging a bit from my Adamski rejection last week...

This is a bit like cricket: I can play the game but I'm not very good at it.

This'll probably get me another ticking off (it's quite lonely here on the naughty step).

Nearly all the Alisons I know/have known have usually being called Ally. It's not an unusual derivation; the spelling can change - Ally, Alley, Alli - but ask any Alison and she'll no doubt concur.

So, I'm going for Alley Oop. I wrote about it once, hereabouts.

The Hollywood Argyles - Alley Oop

No ticking off, John. But no place in the Top Ten either as I think that's a bit of a stretch... and I'd end up having to find a place for Gasoline Alley and Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley too. Among others.

Jim in Dubai offered this...

The Huntingtons - Alison The Bomb

...which I reckon is cut from the same cloth as these...

Jeff Rosenstock - Hey Allison

American Hi-Fi - Allison

Now, I did suggest that abbreviated forms of Alison might be allowed, although the only one I could find myself was this...

Belle & Sebastian - Allie

George, however, had this to say...

I am relieved that the only derivations of Alison allowed are Alyson and Allie, and that Alice is not, so no one can suggest Living Next Door To Alice by Smokie.

Beat you to it, George.... (twice!)



Now, just before we get onto this week's scrapings from the hard drive, here's a word from our own Alyson which will allow me to set a rule for future editions.

Also, Beautiful South with Song For Whoever

Jennifer, Alison, Phillipa, Sue...

Yes. But much as I like that song, I think it may be banned for ballot stuffing. Unless I'm really desperate one week.

The same rule may also apply to this...

George Strait - All My Exs Live In Texas

And Allison's in Galveston
Somehow lost her sanity

And this...

Weezer - Smart Girls

Yumi, Sherie, Alison, Mary
Which one do I want to marry?

Hard-drive scrapings, then?

CUD - Alison Springs

Richmond Fontaine - Allison Johnson

Woodpigeon - The Alison Yip School For Girls

Finally, a couple of lyrical nods...

The Streets - Empty Cans

I really feel like things clicked into place at some point
Or maybe it's the fact that me and Alison really got on

The Courteeners - Are You In Love With A Notion?

You told Alison next door
That all your dreams were made

Time for the Ten...


10. Gin Blossoms - Allison Road

Let's start with these guys. One Hit Wonders, maybe... but they had more than one good tune.

So she fills up her sails with my wasted breath
And each one's more wasted that the others you can bet
On Allison Road
Now I can't hide so why not drive
I know I want to love her but I can't decide
On Allison Road

9. Rick Springfield - Alyson

And then, the only one I could find with the "pretentious" spelling. (Not my word: see below.)

8. Slowdive - Alison

Points to Rigid Digit for remembering this shoegaze classic.

7. Gordon Lightfoot - Poor Little Allison

Poor little Allison, standing in the night wind
Wishing out loud, turning her face to the summer rain
Hard to forget, always in step with the world she's in

6. 60 Ft Dolls - Alison's Room

You know I'm a sucker for obscure Britpop tunes.

5. Townes Van Zandt - You Are Not Needed Now

Well, Allison laid a hex on me
And every time I turn around
It's swimming through the air above my bed

A lovely song, though it does sound like he's singing "Allison laid an egg on me".

4. The Chesterfields - Alison Wait

Suggested by both Walter and Jim in Dubai. Rightly so.

3. Spearmint - A Week Away

Less well known than many of the songs in this countdown, but one of my favourite indie bands and a great lyrical Alison...

Alison cheated at Scrabble
And then she still lost
You call her a cheat
And then she gets in a huff

2. The Lemonheads - Alison's Starting To Happen

I'll let C take this one...

I'm thinking that the obvious second one to the obvious first one must surely be Alison's Starting To Happen by the Lemonheads, and what a great song.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

1. Elvis Costello - Alison

And who better to introduce our obvious number one than "Alyson" herself...?

One of my favourite songs of all-time - Alison by Elvis Costello. It was played constantly during my last year at school, a year which is up there as being was one of the best of my life to date. Still get teary when I listen to it as a couple of the really good friends from those days are no longer with us, and of course I reminisce about all the romances that didn't last the distance. A bittersweet (for me) but beautiful song.

I think I've mentioned this around here before but I use my middle name for blogging purposes for fear of people in the real world finding what I write (about them). As a second layer of security/anonymity I changed the middle 'i' to to a 'y' which I now regret as a bit pretentious, like Fiona becoming Ffyona. Oh well, too late to change now but I think we would all agree with Elvis Costello that the true spelling should be Alison.

There have been a number of decent covers of this song, including...

Everything But The Girl - Alison 

Vic Chestnutt - Alison 

Linda Ronstadt - Alison 

But the original is unbeatable.


OK, I started you with a couple of easy ones. Let's see how you cope with the letter B.

NEXT WEEK: OUR TOP TEN BEN / BENJAMIN / BENNY SONGS

All I can tell you is that the Number One will not be a rat.

21 comments:

  1. "...will not be a rat" lets Jacko out then, I guess.

    So I'll be first with the obvious one, Elton John, Benny and the Jets.

    There's also Ella Fitzgerald with Benny's Coming Home on Saturday.

    And, er, Benny the Bouncer by Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

    Plus anything by the always-excellent Ben Folds Five.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll start with the obvious one - Bennie & the Jets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before anyone else gets there...........Benjamin and Barnaby Green, one of Portugal's top pop acts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben McCulloch from Steve Earle's great Train a' Coming album

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to offer the magnificently bonkers 'Big Ben Rock' by Lee Scratch Perry and the lovely, understated 'Bennie Helder' by Focus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shack - "Streets of Kenny'

    Searching for the boys again
    Can't find Joe or Benny

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are many Benny's around: Toy Dolls - Benny The Boxer; Madness - Benny Bullfrog, The Fall - Who Makes The Nazis(Who makes the Nazis?
    Benny's cob-web eyes!
    Who makes the Nazis?
    Bad-bias TV
    Arena badges
    BBC, George Orwell, Burmese Police)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course I meant to say "one of the best of my life to date" - Typo slipped through the net.

    You well and truly seem to have a new series on your hands. As for Ben songs, I don't have much. Will there ever be a time when it's ok to enjoy MJ songs in a guilt-free manner? I always loved the rat song so hope it does end up in there but would understand why it might not.

    Tori Amos - Benjamin

    and

    Ben Folds for the artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duly corrected. English teacher not marking correctly.

      Delete
  9. Ah, Ben/Benjamin, my first love was called Ben, and I have fond memories of holding hands with him on a Summer afternoon. I was only six (and so was he, I hasten to add!)
    As for songs - I brought Mr SDS (who is not called Ben) in on this one and he came up with a slice of '60s garage pop called 'Ben Franklin's Almanac' by the Cryan' Shames. None from me, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If any of you have a bootleg of Elvis Costello doing a benefit gig for NUS strikers at Aberdeen Music Hall in May 1988, you can hear me shouting for him to please play "Alison".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charity Chic beat me to Steve Earle's "Ben McCulloch".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can only offer one song with Ben in the title.
    I have also listed a few interesting songs with Ben / Benny as the name of the singer.

    Big Ben Boogie - The Monochrome Set

    Singers:
    Little Benny & The Masters - Who Comes to Boogie
    Jorge Ben - Taj Mahal (Unconsciously Plagiarised by Rod Stewart on Do You Thing Im Sexy)
    Benny - Die Wieder Frei (German Ca Plane Pour Moi)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Good: Iron Maiden - The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

    The Bad: in We Didn't Start The Fire, Billy Joel (not Benny Joel) lists:
    "Buddy Holly, Ben-Hur
    Space Monkey, Mafia
    Hula Hoops, Castro
    Edsel is a no-go"

    It runs to 4 verses before he realises that he's only got to 1963, so compresses the next 30 years into a single verse

    The bleedin' awful (although some may like it): that song by Wacko Jacko about a rat

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a band called The Cryan' Shames singing Ben Franklin's Almanac

    ReplyDelete
  15. If we're talking performers I'd go for Benmont Tench, who has played with all manner of people, not least Tom Petty and Bob Dylan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If we are allowed to include clocks in the figurin', then I am guessing there are a number of songs alluding to London's famous timepiece, the best of which I can come up with is The Beautiful South's "From Under The Covers":

    "It's 6.00am and even Big Ben
    Is trying to get his head down for a kip
    But no sooner is it down
    And then it's on with dressing gown
    For this city very rarely loses grip..."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here's a twofer: Ben Webster - the best tenor sax player of his, or indeed any, generation - with Ben's Blues.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heavenly- Ben Sherman
    Roddy Frame - Big Ben
    The Sugarplastic - Ben Takes a Walk to Lose Company and on the Way He Sees Some Ice Skaters

    Lots of Bens to consider for art:
    Benny Profane (known by a few for the C86-era "hit" Hang Fire)
    LaBrenda Ben (lost Motown artist from very early '60s, beautiful voice)
    Benny Benjamin (drummer, legendary Motown studio band the Funk Brothers)
    Bennie Benjamin (songwriter best known for Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood)
    Benny Goodman ('nuff said)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...