Tuesday 1 September 2020

Name That Tune!


I've been thinking about what I'd do to follow the Hot 100 for a while now. Obviously that feature was going to end as soon as I reached Number One, but it proved quite a popular series, even though the sheer number of songs in the Top Ten made it a bit of a slog at the end.

For some time I was considering doing A Periodic Table of Songs, but I soon realised that while I wouldn't have any trouble finding Oxygen, Iron or even Lithium... I was going to really struggle most of the rest. Seaborgium Songs, anyone?

One of the most popular posts I've ever run on this blog was My Top Ten Ruby Songs, and I've done an irregular series of posts on songs with names in them... including Emily, Jennifer, Tony and Richard. The tag "Names" below will take you to most of them, although I've a feeling there were more... probably that I forgot to tag.

Anyway, that's the new feature. Every week I will try to compile a Top Ten Songs about a particular boy or girl's name... with your help, I hope. We will start next week with the first man... Adam. That seemed like the obvious name to start with. Perhaps Swiss Adam will have some suggestions... and I hope you all will too.

Titular Adams are all welcome, but so are lyrical ones... if they're good enough.

Here's one to start you off. Be warned: I'm setting the bar high.

   

NEXT WEEK: MY TOP TEN ADAM SONGS.

Your suggestions welcome...



12 comments:

  1. I would hope that Springsteen's 'Adam Raised a Cain' is a racing certainty. The only others that immediately spring to mind are 'Tony Adams' by Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros and 'Adam's Apple' by Wayne Shorter.
    Another splendid idea for a series Rol. This one could run and run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adamski probably gets me code violation, but he was born Adam Paul Tinley. And Killer is a banger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Songs rather than artists, John.

      And please don't ever use the word banger unless you're referring to a sausage or a firework. ;-)

      Delete
    2. And no running in the corridor.

      Delete
  3. Hi Rol,
    Great to see you have another series running to hopefully match the Top 100, liking this idea.

    I have plenty of songs sung by an Adam, didn't realise i had so many Adam Ant songs,along with Adam Faith, Ric Adams to name a few but seems that the only songs in my library with Adam in the title are the HMHB song you have mentioned and a great song by Momus from his album where people paid money to him to have a song written about them to help him pay some legal bills i believe, this one obviously came from a Mr Adam Green.

    Momus - Adam Green

    Looking forward to this series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appear to have a song called The Adam Faith Experience by Jesse Garron & the Desperadoes from the Big Gold Dreams boxset

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fantastic idea for a new series Rol. I suggest Song For Adam by Jackson Browne and as a second XTC vs Adam Ant by They Might Be Giants.

    Looking forward for this series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely idea and look forward to more, although I can't think of any Adam songs I'm afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea for a series Rol although a bit late with my contribution. You know I love old musicals and in Call Me Madam one of Irving Berlin’s songs is Mrs Sally Adams. All about a wealthy widow turned socialite. It won’t be in your Top Ten and probably breaks a rule with the extra ‘s’ but enjoyed watching the clip from the film with a young Donald O’Connor and Ethel Merman in fine fettle (she reminded me of Rizzo from Grease).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope The Adam Faith Experience by Jesse Garron & the Desperadoes makes the list. Great band CC remembered there. I will add The Sun and the Moon with Adam's Song (Pour Fenella). Some ex-Chameleons there from 1988.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oo - another opportunity to plunder the depths of my brain and record collection for things

    Adam & The Ants
    Adam Faith

    and you've got to fight for the right to get 2 members of the Beastie Boys on your list:
    Adam 'MCA' Yauch and Adam 'Ad Rock' Horovitz

    Songs:
    Adam's Apple - Aerosmith
    Adam's Song - Blink182
    Song For Adam - Jackson Browne

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...