Monday 2 January 2023

Celebrity Jukebox #61: Terry Hall


Having prepared my Top 22 of 2022 well in advance, I took a little break from blogging over Christmas. Hence I didn't get to comment on Terry Hall's departure... though many of you guys did a fine job in eulogising him. I've not much more to add. Except...

I shared a birthday with Terry Hall. We were both born on March 19th. Granted, he was born 13 years earlier than me... but 13 years is nothing, is it? These days, I feel far more kinship with people who are 13 years older than I am than with those who are 13 years younger. He meant a lot to music fans of my generation, and to many of his fellow musicians too. Here are a few songs that mention Terry's various musical projects...

George Michael - Round Here

Music fell like rain to the streets
The Specials and The Jam, to The Beat
Even though I think I've seen everythin'
There is to see of this world
I gotta be thankful that this crowded space
Is the place of my birth

Scroobius Pip - 1000 Words 

Then I'd put on The Specials to hear their social commentary
You couldn’t help but get drawn in, sometimes even involuntary

Grace Petrie - I Wish The Guardian Believed That I Exist

I know you miss the good old days of picket lines and flags
When the Specials and the Jam all ruled the charts
but if you're really looking for this generation's Billy Bragg's
We are all here with a fire in our hearts

The Sprites - Following Her Around

I followed her to Vinyl Ink
Though I kept my distance I followed her through the stacks
These were the records she found and she held and she later bought:
The Fun Boy Three, Air Miami and Kraftwerk
Considered The Soft Boys but opted for Bandwagonesque
George was still around then and he said
"Have you heard the Hit Parade record yet?"

To finish, here's one that mentions Terry by name. A beautiful track from Tracey...

Here is the street and here is the door
Same as it was before
And up the stairs and on the wall
Is Doisneau's 'Kiss' and Terry Hall
And Siouxsie Sioux and Edwin too
And Bobby Dee in '63
And everything I knew was good
And like it was just understood

As none of the above mention my favourite Terry Hall incarnation, The Colourfield, here's a track from the band themselves which does so eponymously.


Rest in peace, Terry.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this one. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the sidebars so universally full of tributes to the same person. His loss really knocked us sideways and I’m still trying to process why.

    Love that Tracey Thirn song.

    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tribute and some fantastic lyrics there. Terry's death is one that's really got to so many of us, as Alyson says. Something more than just the music but about his presence, his relatability, individuality, inspiration and existence in our formative years - and beyond.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...