Tuesday 3 January 2023

Namesakes #17: The Piranhas


Way, way back in 2022, I gave you the choice between a bunch of Go-Go's. Most of them got a vote or two, but obviously Belinda's mob came out on top. I'd have fixed it if it looked like that result was in any kind of jeopardy.

As Namesakes returns for 2023, I'm giving you the choice between a variety of carnivorous fish... just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.
 
THE PIRANHAS #1

One thing that's become apparent while doing this feature is that if I'm featuring a band name that begins with the definite article, there will usually be a 60s surf rock group that got to the name first.

The only info I can find out about this lot comes via youtube: "The Piranhas, a seven-piece surf rock group from San Marino, made a very rare full-length LP, Somethin’ Fishy, released on Custom Fidelity Records in 1965." Here's the opening track, which might also turn up one day on the Celebrity Jukebox...


THE PIRANHAS #2

Most of you will be familiar with our second shoal of Piranhas. They hailed from Brighton in 1977 with a fun mix of punky poppy ska that broke into the Top 40 twice, both times with covers of South African kwela songs: firstly Tom Hark (which would go on to become a popular football chant), and then two years later Zambezi. Lead singer "Boring" Bob Grover added his own lyrics to each song, and production duties were handled by a young Pete Waterman... but let's not hold that against them. 

Here's another of their singles, one they came up with all on their own...

THE PIRANHAS #3

There were a couple more fishy, fang-toothed contenders for this week's post, including a German band called Die Piranhas, but I couldn't find their songs anywhere online. Your final option then is this art-punk band from Detroit, circa the turn of the Millennium. Although they're not my favourites, they are the Piranhas who most sound like an attack by killer fish...


Which Piranhas would you most like to find nipping at your toes? Answer in the comments box, please...


8 comments:

  1. Piranhas 2: annoyingly bad. Piranhas 3 listenable, but it's the twangy surf #1 for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll go for No. 1 too. That's presumably not San Marino the micro-state tucked away in Northern Italy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even before I saw the other comments it was going to be the surf rock dudes at #1. I remember the second lot well and I think Zambezi did really well for them. As for Pete Waterman's input, there is a really good doc on the beginning of Ska in Coventry - forget Jerry Dammers/Terry Hall, without Pete it might never have happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Number 2 for me, loved Tom Hark when at School, recently bought the box set that was issued by Cherry Red :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Number 2, who I once saw supporting The Jam, back in the dark ages. The 12" version of 'Vi Gela Gela' is a big favourite of mine to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Number 2 for me
    (although Number 1 has great appeal - I'm off to find more)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I go for To.m Hark, that was always a favorite of me.
    Walter

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...