Wednesday 11 January 2023

Celebrity Jukebox #64: Debbie Reynolds


From Singing In The Rain to How The West Was Won and The Singing Nun, Debbie Reynolds appeared on stage and screen for almost 70 years. She had her own TV show, her own dance studio, and her own museum of movie memorabilia. Not to mention her own pop career...


Rightly or wrongly though, for my generation at least, she will best be remember as Princess Leia's mum. Debbie died in December 2016, one day after her daughter Carrie passed away. The official cause of death was a stroke, though many believe it was brought on by a broken heart.

How does Debbie do on the jukebox? Let's start by asking Robert Plant...

No, no, no, Miss Debbie Reynolds promised someone out there always to obey...


The Color Bars were a "neo-psychedelic indie pop trio" from Brooklyn in the early part of the 21st Century. They like to ponder the big questions...

What does my cat Leonard have in common with
Pangolins, galagos, tenrecs, skinks, and basilisks?
Same thing Debbie Reynolds shares with Patti Smith
Same thing dinosaurs share with evangelicals

Every living thing
Otter, beaver, top or receiver
Every living thing needs love


Mister Bubbles are a British band I know nothing about. However, like The Color Bars, I think they're worthy of further investigation...

You'll be my Debbie Reynolds wife, I'll be Darren McGavin


On the other hand, I'm probably too old for these guys... but they did make me smile with this tribute to their grandma...

Cuz like Propecia, girl I need ya, and I'll feed ya, and I'll read to ya
Cuz you're my Debbie Reynolds, girl, I'm singing in the rain!


Today's winning entry comes from one of The Swede's favourites, Robyn Hitchcock...

It's all about success
What are you doing this time tomorrow, baby
It's all about success
Nobody loves you
Like Debbie Reynolds



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...