Tuesday 23 April 2024

Namesakes #82: Cast


The problem with calling yourselves Cast is that you're immediately fighting it out with the Cast recordings of every Broadway show in history. Not to mention The Cast of Hollyoaks, The Cast of Casualty or The Cast Of Grange Hill (et al.) whenever they choose to release a record.

Remember kids - Just Say No!

Beyond that, Cast is a pretty dull name for a band. Will any of these acts rise above their mediocre monikers? You decide...


CAST #1

Mexican symphonic prog band who first got together in 1978... and were still going strong in 2021. I'm sure that many of you will be pleased to hear that they are "similar in style to early Genesis".

CAST #2

Sweetly synthy soul from Italy in 1980...


THE CAST #3

Canadian metal band from the early 90s. 

The lead singer has a very nice purple shirt.


CAST #4


In 1991, bassist John Power left The La's because he was sick of playing the same songs every night for 6 years while Lee Mavers tried to get them to sound the way they did in his head. Or something like that. Those with far more time than me can fill you in on the comical history of The La's, I'm sure. Anyway, Power went off with the drummer from Shack and a couple of other guys and formed a band which Noel Gallagher once described as a "religious experience". I think you can all make up your own punchlines to that.

I was a huge Britpop kid (well, as I was in 20s, but I still felt like a kid)... but I never got too excited about Cast. I mean, they were slightly more appealing than Oasis, but then so is dysentery.

Perhaps the best that can be said about them is that they were Alright...


CAST #5

This is the sound of Norwegian hip hop in 2005...


CAST #6

And here's some Romanian hip hop from a similar epoch. I would say it keeps them off the streets, but looking at the video, that's clearly not the case.


CAST #7


Something a little gentler on the ears to finish today. Ben and Jessica are from Vancouver, and this is how they sounded just last year...


Which Cast would you cast? And which Cast would you cast aside?

9 comments:

  1. Cast. A no-brainer this week, I'm a big fan of the John Power band. Then I read "Mexican symphonic prog band who first got together in 1978", and I'm almost breathless with anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the #4 album but haven't listened to it in years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that was rubbish, they reminded me of ELP (creators of one of the worst records ever made, Picture at an Exhibition). It looks like it will be #4

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went into numbers 5 and 6 really hating hip-hop. I came out of them hating it even more

    ReplyDelete
  5. #7 very good, worthy of further exploration. Am I the only one who thinks they sound like Birds Are Indie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably. I've never heard of Birds Are Indie.

      Delete
  6. I always hope to be the contrarian, but the one we know is the best. No. 4 it is. Was really rooting for the duo from Vancouver. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah number 4 Scouse Cast for me, I liked Cast in the 90's went to see them a few times and loved the album All Change, think there was 4 songs released from that, to me 10 times better than Oasis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No. 2 and No. 7 for me. Sweet sounds indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...