Monday 8 April 2024

Record Collection Recollections #9: The Great Vinyl Debate

I read a very interesting post by Ian McNabb on the Book of Faces last week. You might have seen it yourself. If not, here's what he had to say in reference to the image above...

Let's kill this myth.

As a practitioner I have been into the minutiae of this well-debated subject a hundred times. I have lived with a song from its inception to its release into the world.

The original mix, either on tape or digital, gets mastered before we the public get to hear it. This is CRUCIAL to the process. In the eighties when CDs first appeared they were often mastered from poor sources - usually ancient production masters, frequently second or third generation. They sounded quiet, muddy and flat.

As we became a CD consuming global market things improved. CDs were mastered with greater care and consumers began demanding higher quality for their money, often starting at £14.99 (!).

Then the LOUDNESS WARS began in the mid-nineties. Mastering engineers began brick-walling mixes (making the CDs louder at the expense of definition and dynamic range). This meant compression and lots of it, making prolonged listening a slog and rather tiring after ten minutes.

Since then mastering has gotten pretty good. 

I've forensically analysed my own finished CDs and vinyl. To the point of madness. Vinyl is a great experience, largely due to size of the artwork and the ritual freeing the vinyl from its sleeve and placing it on a turntable. From that point on its a disappointment.

 Unless you've spent a lot of money on your hardware the vinyl is never going to sound as good as the CD - even on an entry-level system.

Vinyl is a LOSS format.

As for MP3s/streaming, well that's the way most people are going to hear the music. All streaming services have their own algorithms and the music sounds perfectly serviceable even to my professional ears.

I fell in love with music listening to vinyl and cassettes in the 70s - usually played through cheap systems and Walkman headphones. MP3s sound a lot better.

So there!

Should you be interested, my music is available in high-quality at ianmcnabb.bandcamp.com

You can chose your format.

IX

I don't own a turntable anymore, and sometimes that makes me sad. I love the warmth of vinyl, the crackles, dropping the stylus into the groove and waiting for the music to start. It reminds me of being a boy, of my first adventures in record collecting, of my early days in radio, cueing up 7" singles on pre-fade (and trying to remember to make sure I have the fader down... there's nothing more embarrassing that cueing up a song over the top of the one that's playing out live on air). 

Todd Snider - Vinyl Records

But I don't own a turntable any more, and I don't have any vinyl. I had to make a choice about ten, twelve years ago, and if I was still going to have a record collection (rather than just going all-digital, as many people have), CD was the only option that made sense. They take up less room, they're a lot cheaper than vinyl (both new and second hand), and the romantic notion of having the time (or the space) to sit down and listen to an LP in the old-fashioned way... well, it wasn't happening any more and the chances of it happening again in the foreseeable future were negligible. 

The Legendary Stardust Cowboy - I Hate CDs

Most of my listening is done in the car on my way to and from work (that's at least two hours a day right there) or late at night as I'm drifting off to sleep. That music comes from memory stick, burned CD compilations and streaming. If I'm at home alone, I will occasionally still pull a CD off the shelf and give it a spin in the way god intended, but the majority of CDs on my shelves have not seen the inside of a CD player in ten, twenty, thirty years... you might ask why I bother to collect them then, and I'm not sure I really have an answer for that. You either get it or you don't.

Jeffrey Lewis & The Voltage - LPs

Those of you who still have big vinyl collections... well, I am jealous, but I've made peace with my decision. Still, I found Ian McNabb's post heartening, that in his eyes at least, I'm not some musically-challenged second class citizen. Maybe in my retirement years, I'll but myself a cheap second hand turntable and dabble in the delights of vinyl again. I must be prepared to dream...



9 comments:

  1. I have a small amount of vinyl, mostly stuff I have not been able to replace on CD. Like you I got rid of most of my collection for space reasons. I have more space now but no particular desire to start getting vinyl again (particularly not at the prices they charge these days). I have one of those turntables you can plug into your PC to digitise records but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this fantasy of sitting in a music room with a glass of whiskey late a night, listening to an old Miles Davis LP... but as I don't have a music room, haven't drunk alcohol in a quarter of a century, and down own any Miles Davis records (except digitally), I'm not sure where it comes from.

      Delete
  2. With vinyl, space was always the biggest problem, but I think sound quality and price have eclipsed that. I spent the ‘80s buying vinyl, the ‘90s buying CDs and split the difference in the 21st century. Buying vinyl is such a gamble, and the excited feeling of opening something new and putting it on the turntable for the first time has been replaced with angst and regret far too often. Fortunately, most of the bands I listen to are on independent labels that have kept the prices fair. I have been buying records for about 41 years, and I think my collection is 50-50 between vinyl and CDs. My love affair with vinyl is over, and I would much rather buy a used 30-year-old piece of vinyl than a new piece of vinyl. Better yet, let me find it on CD for a few bucks and still have some money in my wallet for next time. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coincidentally, I read another chapter of Michel Faber's Listen today, in which he makes many of the same points you and Ian McNabb both make, Brian. Maybe you're not the only one for whom the affair has ended.

      Delete
  3. Interesting read.

    I'm no vinyl snob.....like Brian, my spilt is approx 50/50 between vinyl and CDs, but maybe five or six years ago, it was 40/60. It's very rare nowadays that I'll buy CDs....and I'm finding that I also have an increasing digital-only collection, purchased either directly from musicians or via Bandcamp

    My love for vinyl and the fact I still buy it so much these days does relate to the way you describe things, Rol. The feeling of it in your hands, the inevitably superior sleeve designs, and at with my advancing years and deteriorating eyesight, I enjoy being able to read the credits!

    I'm fortunate enough to be able to pay the prices being asked, even though I often grudge doing so, but I have my limits...likewise when it comes to the cost of tickets for gigs. I've probably got all I really want in terms of 'old music' and so I'm now avoiding the increasing rip-off nature of the 2nd hand markets.

    My biggest concern? There's over 5000 albums/singles across the two formats in Villain Towers, and I have no kids to leave them to! I'll need to identify someone who'll look after things after I've gone and not just flog off the small number that have high monetary value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The question of what to do with your record collection after you're gone is another thing Michel Faber discusses in Listen, JC. I can't recommend that book enough...

      Delete
    2. Duly noted. I'll add it to the list. Cheers.

      Delete
  4. "...the majority of CDs on my shelves have not seen the inside of a CD player in ten, twenty, thirty years... you might ask why I bother to collect them then..." - I'm the same. And the reason we still collect them is, that's what collectors do. Collections matter. More power to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever gets us through the night, Martin...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...