Friday 10 May 2013

My Top Ten Reflection Songs


Sometimes these Top Tens are a challenge... but worth the effort if you stick with them.



10. Marilyn Manson - No Reflection


I'm not the world's biggest Marilyn Manson fan, but I like the fact that his real name is Brian... and he's made a career out of our #3 artist's old socks.

9. The Selecter - Red Reflections

Pauline Black thinks that if loneliness were a colour, it'd be all white... so why is she seeing red reflections in her mirror tonight?

8. MGMT - Future Reflections

No idea.

Still, pretty groovy.

7. Donovan - Summer Day Reflection

Sick of this long, cold winter? Close your eyes and listen to this.(This is an indication of how long ago I wrote this particular post. Still, no one reads these bits so I'm not going to change it now.)

6. Spider-Man - Rock Reflections of a Super-Hero

OK, it's not actually by Spider-Man. Most of this record was recorded by a little known US rock band called Crack The Sky. The LP was released by Marvel (and Lifesong Records) back in 1975, a full rock opera narrated by Stan 'The Man' Lee himself (natch).

So it predates the woeful Turn Off The Dark musical by a good 30 years... and better yet, Bono and The Edge had absolutely nothing to do with it. 

5. Half Man Half Biscuit - Reflections In A Flat

A love story told through a rhyme scheme that doesn't quite work. Another slice of HMHB genius.
Oh darling sugar honey
When it was nice and sunny
And when I had some money
We would go and see Echo And The Bunny
…men
4. Bobby Womack featuring Lana Del Rey - Dayglo Reflection

From last year's all-conquering album that bestowed upon its creator the title of "coolest man" alive... until the next one comes along. Nice collaboration, anyway.

3. Sisters of Mercy - Lucretia, My Reflection

The older I get, the more hilarious I find Andrew Eldritch.

2. Diana Ross & The Supremes - Reflections

It was a close call for Number One and you'll probably say I chose the wrong one. Whatever, they're both damn fine records.

1. The Marmalade - Reflections Of My Life

Another classic 60s hit that still sounds fresh - and when the harmony vocal comes in repeating, "all my crying" and "all my sorrow", the hairs on the back of my neck always stand up. The Marmalade (the 'The' is apparently optional) are still touring today... I doubt they would have been if they'd stuck with their original name, "The Gaylords".

I have a very special fondness for Kevin Rowland's heartbreakingly camp showtune version too. Though perhaps not the outfit he wore on the album cover. 




Which one is staring a back at you from your pop mirror?

4 comments:

  1. No if you mention mirrors, there's a whole host to choose...but on reflection I can only think of Christina Aguilera, and that was rubbish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, too many mirror songs for me to narrow down just 10 at this moment... I'll get there eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't suppose "Reflections: Carly Simon's Greatest Hits" counts but it is all I can offer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are five or six Marilyn Manson songs I really like (especially 'The Beautiful People' and 'Disposable Teens'), which is why I bought his best of album. Most of his other stuff is a bit rubbish, but I reckon I'd think he was brilliant if I was 15 years old again. And I also love the fact that his real name is Brian. There's a song on that best of album called 'The Reflecting God', but it's not one of the good ones.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...