Sunday 4 June 2017

June #10: Getting Seduced By The Roches



10. Maggie & Terre Roche - Underneath The Moon

I mentioned a few weeks back my accidental discovery of New Jersey folkies The Roches. Since then, I've been doing a little digging into their back catalogue. The first thing I came up with was the 1975 debut album by two of the three Roche sisters, Maggie & Terre. Lyrically, there's a cheeky wit underlying many of the songs (even the heartbreakers) which makes them stand out all the more to me. It's reminiscent of Paul Simon - no surprise, since the ladies provided backing vocals for his third solo album just prior to their debut. He was obviously an influence.

The battle of the sexes, interracial romance, loneliness, the perils of songwriting... it's all here, with a sound that also reminds me of the contemporary queens of quirky folk, First Aid Kit.

I overheard a wise gal say
Whose gentleman was her ruin
"Sweetness gets me nowhere
'Cept, underneath the moon."

Good men want a virgin
So don't you give yourself too soon
'Cept in an emergency
Like underneath the moon.




2 comments:

  1. The comparison to First Aid Kit is a good one. There's a lot to be said for sibling harmonies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if there's something genetic that makes them sweeter?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...