Friday 9 June 2017

June #8: What A Difference A Day Makes...


So I had a post all set to go this morning, and I was just going to play the song without further comment. In case you're wondering, it would have been this. Not the most original choice, I know... but definitely the best.

Then something unexpected happened. It wasn't the very best outcome, but it was a lot better than many of us had hoped for. What it means for the country is anyone's guess. Who the hell are the DUP for a start? A party that thinks homosexuality is immoral, opposes abortion and shares Donald Trump's views on climate change, apparently. Oh yeah, that's just what we need!

Still, things could have been much worse. We could have had another landslide. And at least my home constituency has gone back to labour. It never felt right having a blue MP.

Anyway, I've had to think of an alternative song to mark the occasion. Now, obviously, this song cannot be directed at the lady above, since she has made it very clear, in no uncertain terms, that she has no intention of resigning. And let's face it: her word is her bond. If she says something, she sticks by it.

How long do you give her?

8. Marine Girls - Don't Come Back




I reckon JC and Brian will approve of my choice, at least.

7 comments:

  1. I have to say, I've been so up and down these last 24 hours! Down when I thought there was no hope, but up when I saw the exit polls looking optimistic, up further when I heard the final result this morning, but right down again when I heard the latest. I can't seem to get away from this feeling that just when we think we're finally getting somewhere we find ourselves still banging our heads against this awful right wing wall. But yes, we have to stay positive, or else we'll crumble and I'm just hoping the wall will crumble first. Although it feels a little bleak right now, thank you for reminding me there's still a chance for things to change again, and we're not alone in wanting that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her willful refusal to accept reality is one again astounding. But the Mayfly will not last long now. The old bosses may still be in Number 10, but they are on their knees on a very slipperly, precarious slope. We have to take what Corbyn achieved in such a short space of time and against an overwhelmingly nasty smear campaign as a victory.

    My own song choice for today? Walls Come Tumbling Down

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like congratulations are in order, but as you say, kind of tough to tell. At least there were no tears in your corn flakes this morning. When you go with Marine Girls, it's always a good day. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I dropped by yesterday it was all doom and gloom and today has been really uplifting - Good to hear about your local win. Didn't plan on staying up last night but after waking up at 3pm and checking the results so far it was impossible to go back to sleep. Amazing that a loss in effect has made so many people happy but yet again the polls got it wrong (although I did predict this happening right at the beginning of the campaign before I changed my mind). The best thing about this election was that young people seem have got engaged with politics and are excited about how they can effect change - You are right, she won't last and we're all in chaos again but something very pleasing about today. Really glad you didn't need to feature Jarvis' song but glad it was still included - How else would I discover such appropriate gems!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Alyson says, it's been enormously encouraging to see so many younger people engaged in this election. We need to make sure they stay on board.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One part of my city went back to the Tories for the 1st time in 25 years. Considering how the economy has damaged the lives of so many people here, I'm at a loss to understand how this happened. Overall though, it was a good day and I think a lot of people are more hopeful than they were.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The exit poll gave me a real jolt....and led to me sitting up right through the night and going to work without any sleep. I'm still paying the price a week later but it was worth it.

    Reckon we'll be back at the polls again no later than next March. And yes, the song of choice gets a huge thumbs up

    JC

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...