Tuesday 16 October 2018

Hot 100 #62


An unsigned band from Edinburgh give us our opening image this week. Check them out on Soundcloud.

But what about songs with 62 in them? Let's jump straight into your suggestions...

C started us off with a song we already had 4 weeks back...

Route 66 - whose ever version you like best!

"get your kicks on Route 66 and I'll meet you on Route 62"

...but sadly no double-week-winners on this series.

Next up was The Swede...


"The last goal he ever scored won the Leafs, the cup, 
They didn't win another till 1962, 
The year he was discovered..."

It's a marvellous song telling a fascinating story.

Can't really argue with that.

Next up was Martin, who offered this gem...


"Just like that murder in '73 
Just like that robbery in '62 
With all there things that have happened to me 
I kept it all in"

Certainly wins video of the week... and any other week would probably clinch the title.

But Martin wasn't done there...


"Well, it musta been about '62
I heard you on record, you were brand new"

(Really, I love this song.)

And how could he not? As Loudon admits, Bob was "hipper than Mitch Miller... and Johnny Mathis put together!"

Then Lynchie popped up with a heartbreaking slice of classic country...


And Alyson kept it country, knowing my love for Brad Paisley...


Except that's not really a song, just a snip of JFK's famous moon speech set to music... a lengthy intro to this song, which is rather timely since the new Neil Armstrong movie starring Ryan Gosling appears to have left the American flag back home, much to the chagrin of a certain Mr. Trump. Still, I never really took Brad's song as jingoistic, far more hopeful... plus I'm a sucker for songs featuring 5 year olds talking to their dads. 

(Actually, what I find most interesting about listening to that JFK speech is how much he sounds like the great Pete Postlethwaite in Brassed Off. Without the swearing. Just me?)

Rigid Digit, meanwhile, came to kick out the jams...


What a racket. (In a good way.)

But this week's winner was...

...well, I know what you're all thinking.

You're all thinking this week's winner will be this, as originally suggested by The Swede and then seconded by Martin and Brian...

Sir leads the troops
Jealous of youth
Same old suit since nineteen sixty two

And certainly, it is one of my favourites from the early days of The Smiths. However, I'm going to throw a curveball this week and go with Jim from Dubai's suggestion... some classic 90s powerpop all the way from Sweden. A big favourite of mine back in the day...
 


Next week... 61. Any ideas?

8 comments:

  1. Year of my birth
    An obvious one - Highway 61

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Charity Chic said, obvs. Also Bonnie Prince Billy 'Sixty-One', which was the b-side of his single 'Sixty Minute Man', so I could return with that one next week if I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Struggling with this, beyond the obvious Bob.

    How about A Dustland Fairyltale by The Killers, with the lyric:

    A dustland fairytale beginning
    Or just another white trash country kiss?
    In '61, long brown hair and foolish eyes...

    And The Fray have a somewhat forgettable song called 1961.

    And new to me, a slice of mid-80s power-pop called 61 Seconds by The Outfield.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if just to hear Feargal sing "I wanna wanna be a male model", you can't go wrong with the Undertones (Male Model):

    When I was young I never wanted toys
    Things like that were for little boys
    My mamma got me clothes for her favourite son
    Freeman's item A page 61

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with charity chic - it's got to be "Highway 61 Revisited".

    AND, I'd like to get this one in in advance - the greatest 1 minute 56 seconds road song ever committed to vinyl. This is rawk'n roll that scares punks to death!

    Turbines - Highway 51 (from the beautifully named LP "Last Dance Before Highway" - check out "Wah Hey" too!)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GA42gp_Ji8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to remind me about that in 10 weeks time.

      Delete
  6. Another vote for Highway 61 = is there anything else?

    Levellers - 61 Minutes Of Pleading

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps the PJ Harvey version of Highway 61. I'm also quite sure the kissaway trail have a song called 61.
    Swc.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...