Monday 1 October 2018

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #32: There Was A Time We Produced Doves


Prefab Sprout's 2013 "comeback" album is a thing of wonder. One of the best albums released in the 21st Century, it's also my favourite album by a band who have produced some absolute classics in their time. I can't think of many other artists whose best work came 30 years after their debut, but Paddy McAloon achieved the impossible with this disc.

Many of the songs on the album deal with growing old, but none so beautifully as The Old Magician, a track that confirms McAloon's rightful place alongside Cole Porter and Jimmy Webb as one of the greatest lyricists in the history of popular music. No hyperbole.

The old magician takes the stage
His act has not improved with age
Observe the shabby hat and gloves
The tired act that no-one loves
There was a time he produced doves

A mirror and a puff of smoke
His mysteries are now a joke
His poor assistant black and blue
She's tired of being sawn in two
She's tired of being sawn in two

Hidden trapdoor, velvet cape
Still, from death there's no escape
Words of sympathy and tact
Only underline the fact
Death is a lousy disappearing act

Lord have mercy and be kind
When our faculties unwind
Overlook the hat and gloves
The tired act that no-one loves
There was a time we produced doves

The old magician takes the stage
With sleight of hand he’ll disengage
As dignified as you’ll allow
He’ll take his last, his final bow
He’s lost all his illusions now




11 comments:

  1. Here's a thing Rol - I am at present sitting with my laptop in the college library. As you know I've recently joined the student ranks, and although I'm keeping quiet about my chosen subject at the moment, suffice to say it's all about words, which I now seem to prefer to numbers.

    Our "homework" this week is to look at a villanelle and then compare it to the structure of the modern day pop song. Your blog is certainly going to be the source of much inspiration as you have always championed great lyrics and this post is a case in point.

    Funnily enough you were also the inspiration for my return to college, as after reading your wonderful short story based on Wichita Lineman, I realised that this hobby we all have, revisiting the "tracks of our years", can actually be turned into something of an academic discipline - Who knew? Anyway, enough now, or you'll get big-headed (although probably not), but funny how things turn out 'an all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very interested in what your course actually is, Alyson, since in all the FE colleges around me, the only word-related course is GCSE English (which I teach). Perhaps Scottish colleges offer more variety - you seem to have more of a commitment to adult education than in England.

    I'll take any credit I can get for anything positive that happens as a result of reading this blog, but it's not my fault if you end up hating your course.

    Now I need to go look up what a villanelle is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, will spill the beans as I've have said too much now not to. This year our local college (which along with another 12 colleges in Highland forms part of the University of the Highlands and Islands) started running a Creative Writing degree course. As I said over at my place, because of family commitments I'm just going to pick off one module at a time, as and when, so not too onerous. Lots of youngsters on the course though who are brimming with ideas so really inspiring. I've loved writing my blog over the last couple of years, but all quite factual and diary-like with the odd anecdote thrown in - Would like to try my hand at being a bit more creative (although I suspect you need to be born with it and it can't be taught) so here we are.

      Yes it was quite funny that we had been looking at villanelles yesterday, those pastoral poems with lines on repeat which kind of look as if they are the precursor to the style of the modern pop song. Our homework was to find a modern pop song and compare with a villanelle - That was when I opened your blog and found the great lyrics above!

      I promise I won't blame you if I end up hating the course - One semester at a time is how I'm going to approach it for as long as I enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. I did O Level and then Higher Level English (Scottish version) at school but also did O Level GCSE English Language and English Literature - that was back at secondary school in 1965/66.

    "Villanelle" is the code name of the fab & funny female assassin in the even fabber television series "Killing Eve". It's also got a lot to do with poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Lynchie, Villanelle is the name of the assassin in that great new drama. Only on episode 3 though so a fair bit to go with it. So far been fab though as you say.

      And, as you quite rightly say a villanelle is a kind of pastoral poem - I only found out about them yesterday so well done for remembering.

      Delete
    2. I couldn't wait and binged through "Killing Eve".

      Delete
    3. And good luck with the Creative Writing course.

      Delete
  4. This album is absolutely vital. Paddy is a hero. Enjoyed the comments too. Go, Alyson!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement guys - We'll keep it all to ourselves though as I seem to already be suffering from writer's block, so my first semester might be my only semester!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...