Tuesday 9 October 2018

Hot 100 #63



Album cover above by The 63 Crayons, a band I know nothing about, but they have a cool name. Google them if you have time, I've got just 15 minutes to write this post before my next class...

Cut & paste with your suggestions this week because of the above-mentioned time constraints. Thanks for all your contributions.

The Swede kicks us off (as is often the case) "Tanglewood 63 by Michael Gibbs springs immediately to mind, a tune quickly covered in a Jazz-Rock vein by Colosseum and several more times since."

Nice.

A lyrical offering from Charity Chic next... which could very well have been this week's winner, because it's an awesome tune...

In Winter 1963
It felt like like the world would freeze
With John F Kennedy and the Beatles


Life in a Northern Town - The Dream Academy

Lynchie & Swiss Adam both went for New Order - 1963. Now, time prevents me from telling the full story, but suffice it to say there a deep scars from my teenage years involving New Order - I basically feel out and didn't speak to one of my best friends for 6 months, and New Order were indirectly responsible for that. They remain one of the two big 80s bands that I have never been able to find a moment's time for (the other being U2). I know the high esteem that many of my blogging peers hold them in... but they're highly unlikely to ever feature here until I can afford therapy.

Martin, extremely helpfully, even provided links with his suggestions this week... let's see how well they survive the Copy & Paste...

White Flag, by Shonen Knife, for the earth-shattering lyric:

"He's a gummer. He's over 63."

Hands Up To The Ceiling, by Tracey Thorn, for better lyrics:

"Here is the street and here is the door
Same as it was before
And up the stairs and on the wall
Is, Kiss and Terry Hall
And Siouxsie Sioux and Edwin too
And Bobby Dee in '63."


And best of all, Bell Boy by The Who, with the line:

"I don't suppose you would remember me, but I used to follow you back in '63."
 
Rigid Digit offered two fine suggestions...
 
 
"Mini skirts were in style, when she waltzed down the aisle back in 63"

 
"I shot John F. Kennedy in Dallas in 63"

But it's Walter who takes this week's prize - as seconded by CC. Alyson even adds that "I seem to remember it was the soundtrack to my first kiss down the local youth club!" Which makes it a double-winner, surely? We can't beat this...



Anyway, got to go now, there's a queue of students outside the room, waiting to be educated...

Joking.

Obviously.

Just in case the boss is reading this.

62 next week. Any ideas?

8 comments:

  1. Route 66 - whose ever version you like best!- "get your kicks on Route 66 and I'll meet you on Route 62"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tragically Hip's 'Fifty Mission Cap' contain the line '...won the Leafs the cup, they didn't win another till nineteen sixty two, the year he was discovered...' It's a marvellous song telling a fascinating story.
    Then there's 'The Headmaster Ritual' by The Smiths '....sir leads the troops, jealous of youth, same old suit since nineteen sixty two...'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't think you will top The Swede's suggestion of The Headmaster Ritual, if I'm honest.

    Still, if it helps fill next week's post there's You Keep It All In by The Beautiful South, with:

    "Just like that murder in '73
    Just like that robbery in '62
    With all there things that have happened to me
    I kept it all in"

    Or Loudon Wainwright III with the brilliant Talking New Bob Dylan, which includes:

    "Well, it musta been about '62
    I heard you on record, you were brand new"

    (Really, I love this song)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Sixty-Two’s Most Promising Fool" by Marty Robbins

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an incredible 63 roundup. To me, the best so far. Good luck choosing between the Smiths and the Beautiful South. Gonna be a tough one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have any 62 songs in my library but found this strange affair by one of your favourites, Brad Paisley - JFK 1962. Think I might use it for my Moon Series now that I've found it.

    Just to be clear "my first kiss" wasn't in December 1963 (I'm not quite that old) but in 1975 when it appeared in the charts. For the record it wasn't even a very nice kiss, but hey, we had no idea what we were doing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1962 by The Grass Show, some brilliant Swedish Indiepop from the 90's, this should have been a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MC5: Rocket Reducer No 62 (Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...