Wednesday 5 December 2018

My Top Ten Country / Americana Songs of 2018


It's been a fine year for new music, so as well as my Top 18 countdown, I also wanted to shine a light on some of the tunes that didn't make my final list. Here's ten great country songs I discovered this year...


10. Courtney Marie Andrews - Took You Up

I'm still working on appreciating Courtney Marie Andrews as much as other people do, but there's some great lyrical detail here to draw me in.

Karaoke on a Monday night
Television when we want to hide
Frozen dinners when money's tight
Makin' love on a laundry pile

Ain't got much, but we got each other
Not much but love to offer
I took you up

9. Kacey Musgraves - Slow Burn

With splashes of pop and even disco on her most recent album, there's a sense that Kacey hankers after following Taylor Swift to the dark side. She can still write a great song though.

8. Dawes - Living In The Future

Couldn't get into the most recent Dawes album as much as I have their previous offerings, but this lead track certainly blew the dust off my speakers.

7. First Aid Kit - Ugly

Their latest album was pretty good, though I didn't love it half as much as their last one. This is from the follow-up EP, and suggests they're heading back to top form.

6. Eric Church - Hippie Radio

With his last couple of albums, Eric Church would have easily made it into my favourites of the year list. His latest record, Desperate Man, plays it a little safe and leaves the Waylon-esque outlaw stuff on the back-burner. Still some fine tunes on it though.

5. Mary Gauthier - Got Your Six

A soldier's life is not a happy one one Mary's outstanding new album. More here.

4. Dave Giles - Devil In A Green Dress

Dave Giles calls himself "an American artist from London", and to be fair, this was recorded in Nashville. Sounds more like Nick Lowe meets Frank Turner to me. Classic songwriting.

3. Midland - Drinkin' Problem

Like The Eagles crossed with Dr. Hook. If that sounds like your idea of hell... well, you and me comes from different places, I guess.

People say I got a drinkin' problem
But I got no problem drinkin' at all

They keep on talkin'
Drawing conclusions
They call it a problem, 
I call it a solution

2. The Nude Party - Chevrolet Van

They call it Americana, but The Nude Party owe as much to the Stones and 60s garage rock. Whatever label you hang on it, this is a smashing pop song destined to put a grin on your face. The rest of the album is similarly fun. More here.

1. Ashley McBride - A Little Dive Bar In Dahlonega

You know how some of the best indie music is written for outcasts and losers, those down on their look and living on lonely desperation? So is some of the best country music. This is one of my songs of the year - kinda like a country version of Drugstore's Say Hello.



Stay tuned for more great country and Americana music as I continue my 2018 countdown.

5 comments:

  1. Right up my street Rol -as you would expect
    At least half these artists are already on the shelves.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't listened to Courtney Marie Andrews's latest but enjoyed her last album Honest Life (2016) a lot.
    I like a few songs by First Aid Kit and agree Ugly is a really good song

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list - but I only know half of the tracks. Will have to check these out. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see 'Slow Burn' in here - a favourite Kacey song in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressed how you keep on top of all the new music - I only know a few of the names here, but I like their sound, so would probably like the rest too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...