Friday 29 March 2019

The United Kingdom of Song #24: Widnes


Today, we get off the train at Widnes in Cheshire, birthplace of Spice Girl Mel C and screenwriter Alan Bleasdale.

There are two notable songs in my collection which mention the town of Widnes...

Elvis Costello - Watch Your Step

Ev'ry day is full of fun and family spice
They're making heroes out of fall guys
They say it's good for business
From Singapore to Widnes
You better watch your step

Boy, Trust was a great album...

Belle & Sebastian - The Stars of Track & Field

You liberated
A boy I never rated
And now he's throwing discus
For Liverpool and Widnes

...and so is If You're Feeling Sinister, for that matter.

However, neither of these tunes wins the race today, because there is another, far more famous tune written in - and about - the town of Widnes, and we can find evidence of that on the railway station platform as we step off the train (unless it's been nicked again by musos).


That's some claim to fame, only slightly dulled by the fact that Simon himself would later acknowledge: "If you know Widnes, then you'll understand how I was desperately trying to get back to London as quickly as possible."



3 comments:

  1. Can't believe you didn't feature the Holland Dozier Holland classic 'Can I Get a Widnes'.
    I'll get me coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, You're right. I actually sing that version to (although mine is Can I Go To Widnes).

      Delete
  2. I don't know anything about this place, but I do know you could do a lot worse than these two songs. A couple of beauties today, Rol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...