Tuesday 12 March 2019

Hot 100 #48


AKB48 are a Japanese girl-band with 134 members who have sold 56 million records. And you thought five Spice Girls were too many!

Welcome back. You know the drill by now. Every week we count down another number, you provide lots of useful suggestions for songs that mention that number, and then I either bow to public pressure and go with one of your choices... or choose some obscure bit of nonsense that nobody else likes because I'm weird that way.

Last week, I suggested that I had "an obvious cool answer and an obvious slightly-less-cool answer for 48".

C was first to identify the "obvious cool" answer...

The Clash - 48 Hours

...which might have been this week's winner if I were more cool myself. But I'm not.

The Swede was convinced that the above (or "the obvious slightly-less-cool answer", which we'll come to in a moment) would be this week's winner, but that didn't stop him stumping up the following...

Frank Sinatra - Let's Get Away From It All

We'll travel 'round from town to town,
We'll visit every state, I'll repeat I love you sweet,
In all the forty eight...

Which, I guess, proves that this song was written long before Alaska & Hawaii joined the U.S.A. in 1959, making the number up to 50.

The Swede's next suggestion stole the thunder of our resident Canadian player, Douglas McClaren this week...

The Tragically Hip - The Dark Canuck

Till their art falls out, 
The short answer's 48 hours...

And finally from The Swede, this week's obligatory Bob Dylan entry...

Bob Dylan - Changing of the Guards

She wakes him up 48 hours later, 
The sun is breaking

In truth, 48 proved a tougher number than most - even Martin struggled to find anything beyond the obvious two suggestions, although he did eventually identify another one from my library...

The Tindersticks - 4.48 Psychosis

Finally, Jim from Dubai offered us another 48 band, and obscure Manchester act from 40 years gone...

48 Chairs - Snap It Around

A few more lyrical offerings from my own collection, starting with this week's token car song...


When I was a young boy,
It weren't too late,
I had me a Buick, was a '48
Yeah, tons and tons of rollin' steel
With a long black hood and four big wheels.

Neil Young - Get Gone

I asked the girl which road she was taking
She said she’s walking the road of hate
But she hopped on a coal-trolley up to New Town,
Population: 48

Nick Cave - Crow Jane

And finally, this rather unhygienic offering... 

Well, I didn't take a bath in 48 hours
So I took a detour and had a meteor shower

The Stray Cats - Blast Off! 

But in the end, it came down to either The Clash... or this week's "slightly less cool" winner, which actually got more votes, and not just from the middle-aged men in the audience... George, The Swede, Martin, Rigid Digit and Charity Chic, who went all googly-eyed and starting sighing like a lovestruck teenager. Not just them, because Alyson voted for this feminist icon too..

Take it away, Suzie Q...



Next Tuesday I will be 47. Your messages of condolence will be much appreciated.

By a wild coincidence, that's also the day we hit 47 on the Hot 100 Countdown. It's almost like I planned it that way... but who'd believe that?

Anyway, your suggestions for songs featuring the number 47 will be gratefully received...

9 comments:

  1. Bo Diddley's "Who Do You Love" has to be a contender for next week:

    I walk 47 miles of barbed wire
    I use a cobra-snake for a necktie
    I got a brand new house on the roadside
    Made from rattlesnake hide
    I got a brand new chimney made on top
    Made out of a human skull
    Now come on take a walk with me, arlene
    And tell me, who do you love?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 47th when it comes Rol.
    All i can come up with for 47 is a lyric from a group called Oui 3 from the 90's with their version of For What It's Worth (Buffalo Springfield Tune) -
    Hold Your Fire Put Down Your Weapon
    You'll Never Get to Heaven With An AK-47.

    ReplyDelete
  3. '47th Street Jive' by June Richmond - and what a great little clip I just found for it...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf98o2OwgL8

    ReplyDelete
  4. And for yet more mentions of the AK-47 there's 'Kevin Carter' by Manic Street Preachers and '33 Degree' by Thievery Corporation (may have to revisit that one in a few weeks' time too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doh, C beat me to Kevin Carter.

    So I'll pitch Ben Folds Five with One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces for its opening line "September '75 I was 47 inches high".

    Or Island Girl by Elton John, which has these opening lines: "I see your teeth flash, Jamaican honey so sweet, down where Lexington cross 47th Street."

    Or, brilliantly, Till My Head Falls Off by They Might Be Giants, which starts: "There were 87 Advil in the bottle now there's 30 left. I ate 47 so what happened to the other 10?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and 50 Words For Snow by Kate Bush which, frankly, could feature here every week from now on...

    Apparition No 12 by Thea Gilmore is another song with an AK47 reference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. George Thorogood - Who Do You Love
    "I walked forty-seven miles of barbed wire, I got a cobra snake for a necktie"

    See also:
    Bo Diddley (who wrote it)
    Quicksilver Messenger Service
    The Band
    Jesus & Mary Chain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Douglas McLaren14 March 2019 at 02:41

    So far I can only see two songs in my collection with a lyrical connection, and sadly no Candian connection this week. Nick Lowe's "Born Fighter", and Genesis' "Aisle of Plenty". Being age 47 myself for a few more months, that seems slim pickings...

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are some truly terrible songs that you could post, probably none worse than Aisle of Plenty by Genesis...there's something about 47p in there

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...