Wednesday 27 March 2019

My Top Ten Scott Walker Songs


Reams will have been written over the past 48 hours about the importance of Scott Walker and his contribution to popular music. From my own perspective, Scott produced 4 peerless solo albums in the late 60s, often featuring what I consider to be the definitive versions of songs by Jacques Brel, but also a strong mix of his own compositions. These four albums played a strong part in the musical landscape of my 20s when my tastes began widening beyond the mainstream. Before that, he produced a run of classic hit singles with the Walker Brothers (not forgetting their 70s revival). After that, he went a bit weird. I tried with albums Tilt and The Drift, but ultimately found them hard going... a bit too experimental. I kept meaning to go back and give them another try, and maybe one day I will.

However, later in his career, when Walker was much in demand as a producer, he brought a glorious orchestral glow to one of my favourite albums of the noughties: We Love Life, the final album by Pulp. I reckon Jarvis owes a lot more than just that to Scott though.

Scott Walker was a classy gent, a unique vocalist, a reclusive figure of mystery and wonder. He could have been a much bigger pop star, but chose a different road. He'll live longer in our memories because of that.

Here are ten of my favourite Scott Walker performances...


10. Make It Easy On Yourself

Let's start with a little Bacharach & David shall we? And drench it in glorious despair...

9. It's Raining Today

Look up melancholy in the dictionary... and wait for the flourish of the string section just before the two minute mark. Classical composition tricks in a "pop" song... and lyrics that redefine heartbreak.

8. Mathilde

If I understood French, I may appreciate Brel's original versions more. I can listen to them and enjoy them, but the translated lyrics brings these tunes to life for me. That said, I still think Scott's performance and production heightens the drama and comedy of even the Brel originals. Walker +  Brel = wow.

7. Mrs. Murphy

A complete kitchen sink melodrama in under 4 minutes - performed with the conviction of an operatic aria. This was one of Scott's earliest compositions... and Jarvis was taking notes.

6. Montague Terrace (In Blue)

When he chose to write the tunes himself, Noel Scott Engel could give as good as Brel... or any of the other classic songwriters he chose to interpret. Lyrics such as these would only work with Scott Walker's utter conviction of delivery...

His bloated belching figure stomps
He may crash through the ceiling soon
The window sees trees cry from cold
And claw the moon
And then cue the orchestra!

5. Lights of Cincinatti

Sorry. Something in my eye. I bet Jimmy Webb liked this one.

4. If You Go Away

Brel rewritten by Rod McKuen. Recorded by Frank Sinatra, Shirley Bassey, Dusty Springfield, Tom Jones... but none of them know heartbreak like Scott does.

3. No Regrets

The Walker Brothers 70's comeback song. It was like Scott saying: look, I can still do hit records in my sleep. Now leave me alone!

But he had No Regrets...

2. Jackie

This could have been my Number One. Jacques Brel's finest - and funniest - composition given its definitive reading. Yes, the Marc Almond version is great, but I'm sure even Marc would agree that Scott had it nailed.

And if one day I should become
A singer with a Spanish bum
Who sings for women of great virtue
I'd sing to them with a guitar
I borrowed from a coffee bar
Well, what you don't know doesn't hurt you

1. The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore

The ultimate feel-good heartbreak song. Belt it out like you won't be here tomorrow... and always remember the Alan Rickman / Juliet Stevenson version.



I could easily have gone another ten. Which of your favourites have I missed out?

5 comments:

  1. A terrific tribute and rundown Rol. I immediately reached for 'Montague Terrace (in blue)' when I heard the sad news, but it could just as easily have been any other selection from your top ten, such is the strength in depth of his catalogue.
    Scott was the very definition of a creative artist. Never standing still or resting on his laurels, always pushing at the boundaries, always moving forward. I too find those later 'difficult' albums very tough going, though I strongly suspect that the fault lies with my limitations as a listener and that his musical vision will be proven correct in the fullness of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't argue with these selections Rol

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fine tribute Rol. This year is starting to resemble 2016 in terms of the sheer number of losses but only to be expected I suppose.

    My favourite of those is Jackie - read a lovely thing from Marc Almond the other day who must have felt so privileged to also cover that song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe find a space for Scott's reading of Stay With Me Baby?
    but at the expense of what?
    Glen Matlock does a pretty good version of Montague Terrace on his recent album

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay With Me Baby, Walking in the Rain, Archangel, In My Room. My fave this evening is 30 Century Man.

    (All yours are brilliant as well though - Mary Anne Hobbs tribute was great on 6 Music on Monday morning as well)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...