Wednesday 26 June 2019

The United Kingdom of Song #35: Scarborough


To Scarborough then, where I spent some of my holiday last week. Although we stayed near Scarborough, we did spend more time in Whitby, Filey and Robin Hood's Bay. I do know a song about Whitby, which I'll feature another time, but sadly couldn't find any that referred to either Filey or Robin Hood's Bay. Lynchie was curious as to when exactly Robin Hood visited the North Yorkshire coast, and iffypedia only offers a vague legend about him seeing off some French pirates there once. But even outlaws deserve a holiday, surely?

Anyway, Scarborough, birthplace of rock band Little Angels and folkie Eliza Carthy (no, neither of her famous musical parents were born there). Scarborough may also attempt to claim Robert Palmer, and yes, he may have grown up there, but he was actually born much closer to my own home. There's a reason I call him Batley Bob.

I'm sure we can all name an obvious song about Scarborough.

Here it is, as recorded by Simon & Garfunkel.

And here it is again, as recorded by Queensryche.

I'm sure you can all think of other versions, so take your pick.

Scarborough also turns up (along with many other UK locales) in my favourite Noel Coward song...

Noel Coward - There Are Bad Times Just Around The Corner

However, this week's selection comes from Art Brut's Eddie Argos and Dyan Valdes of The Blood Arm, from their short-lived but much-cherished (in this house, anyway) collaboration, Everybody Was In The French Resistance... Now! Only 31 views on youtube as I write this post... let's see if we can get them up to at least 35, shall we?



4 comments:

  1. Lovely corner of the world. Spent many a holiday there, Cayton Bay to be exact; just between Filey and Scarborough. Did spend a week at Robin Hood's Bay once too, the stairs in those little houses are more like ladders laid straight against the wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's really built into the cliffs. Love the little alleyways between the houses.

      Delete
  2. A song Paul Simon “stole” from Martin Carthage’s without crediting him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did anybody ever believe that was a Paul Simon composition ? I always thought it was a trad arr. tune myself!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...