Wednesday 12 June 2019

Radio Songs #66: Critic's Pass


There were many perks to that old radio job. Beyond all the free CDs and guest-list tickets to see some of my favourite artists at that time... and others who would become my favourite artists in the future... beyond all that, perhaps the biggest perk came when I managed to convince one of the local cinemas to give me a critic's pass.

This glorious piece of plastic entitled me to go see ANY film of my choice, any time, FREE. And even better than that, it got me invited to preview screenings of the latest new releases BEFORE THEY EVEN CAME OUT.

I've always been a huge film fan, so this pass was just as valuable to me as all the free CDs and gigs. And it was on one of these late night critics' previews that I came to see what instantly became my all-time favourite movie.

The showing was around 11.30 on a Wednesday night, but back then I still worked the late show a few times a week so staying up till 2am was the norm. I remember the excitement of going to the cinema as all the regular patrons were going home. I have a picture in my head of the dark night outside and the brightness in the lobby, the empty lobby: no brighter than it would be if I were going to see a film at 9 with everyone else, but somehow more special. They were cleaning up and shutting down, but we were just arriving. The special ones. The chosen few, from radio, TV, the press. It's nice to feel important every now and then, to get something nobody else gets. It was for me back then, anyway. It meant a lot.

And this is where I met my hero... or, to put it another way...
"Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? Sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here - the Dude from Los Angeles. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude. The Dude, from Los Angeles. And even if he's a lazy man - and the Dude was most certainly that. Quite possibly the laziest in all of Los Angeles County, which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide. Sometimes there's a man, sometimes, there's a man. Well, I lost my train of thought here. But... aw, hell. I've done introduced it enough."


1 comment:

  1. I know exactly which film you’re referring to but wait for it - never seen it as yet. Intrigued by your song pick I checked out the soundtrack - I can see how it became a cult classic from that alone. On my list of films to watch this summer.

    That was pretty cool having a cinema pass - I wonder if you took a large notepad and pen to make it look authentic!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...