Thursday 6 February 2020

My Top Ten 'Hate Your Job' Songs


Inevitable, really...


10. The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

There was a time this one would have been Number One, but... y'know...

Still. Has he ever written a truer line?

I was looking for a job 
And then I found a job
And heaven knows I'm miserable now

9. The Police - Dead End Job

Sting has rarely sounded angrier.

Don't wanna be no teacher, I don't wanna be no slave
I don't wanna work no assembly line, like my uncle Dave
The queue gets longer everyday, I just ain't got time to stay
I ain't gonna run away, all I wanna do is play

8. The Walkmen - This Job Is Killing Me

Just like Thom Yorke said...

7. Lou Reed - Don't Talk To Me About Work

I'm not sure Lou Reed ever did a day's work in his life. But it's nice of him to sympathise with the rest of us.

Don't talk to me about work
Please don't talk to me about work
I'm up to my eyeballs in dirt
With work, with work
How many dollars, how many sales
How many liars, how many tales
How many insults must you take in this one life?
I'm in prison most of the day
So please excuse me if I get this way
But I have got obligations to keep
So be very careful when you speak
Don't talk to me about work

6. The Jam - Smithers-Jones

Sitting on the train, you're nearly there
You're a part of the production line
You're the same as him, you're like tin-sardines
Get out of the pack, before they peel you back

And after all that effort, they give him the sack.

This always makes me think Weller must have been listening to Sparks.

5. BJ Barham - American Tobacco Company

Only recently discovered this, but it's been on repeat play.

Now every single morning I walk into this building
I think about my children, and the life they oughta lead
And I try my best
Not to look back

4. The Divine Comedy - Office Politics

This one's about the bastards in charge and how they keep getting away with it.

Intern chokes on his gooseberry fool
Consternation in the typing pool
Press the flesh, do the deal
Book your place on the hamster wheel
See that PowerPoint presentation
Worthy of a BAFTA nomination
Zero hours, maximum pressure
You know what they say about business and pleasure

3.  Johnny Paycheck - Take This Job And Shove It

Who doesn't dream of one day walking into the boss's office and saying these words?

Well, that foreman, he's a regular dog
The line boss, he's a fool
Got a brand new flattop haircut
Lord, he thinks he's cool

One of these days I'm gonna' blow my top
And that sucker, he's gonna' pay
Lord I can't wait to see their faces
When I get the nerve to say

Take this job and shove it
I ain't working here no more!

2. Drive-By Truckers - This Fucking Job

Well, quite.

Workin' this job is a kick in the pants
Workin' this job is like a knife in the back
It ain't gettin' me further than the dump I live in
It ain't gettin' me further than the next paycheck

Workin' this job is like lightin' two fuses
Workin' this job is runnin' out of excuses
It's like a dead-end when a road map is useless
Until I'm dead and there's nothin' to show for my uses

1. Huey Lewis & The News - Workin' For A Livin'

Look, I know you don't agree that this should be Number One, but I need cheering up, OK? And Huey always does the job...

Some days won't end ever and some days pass on by
I'll be working here forever, at least until I die
Damned if you do, damned if you don't
I'm supposed to get a raise week, you know damn well I won't

HARMONICA!



As per the new Top Ten rule, I stopped looking for them once I had ten, so I'm sure there's lots more where these came from. Feel free to throw me your suggestions and I'll happily do a Volume 2. Misery loves company...



7 comments:

  1. Does Career Opportunities by The Clash meet the criteria for this one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant Top Ten. Foxton wrote Smithers-Jones though (except the Weller coda), so maybe he'd been listening to Sparks too.

    Always happy to see some love for The Police.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It says a lot that there are just so many songs on this theme... argh. I would also like to offer up The Butthole Surfers with the eloquently titled 'I Hate My Job'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Brown Shoes Don't Make It" - The Mothers of Invention

    "Be a jerk - go to work
    Be a jerk - go to work
    Be a jerk - go to work
    Be a jerk - go to work
    Do your job, and do it right
    Life's a ball
    Tv tonight
    Do you love it
    Do you hate it
    There it is
    The way you made it..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wot about Bob Dylan - "Maggie's Farm"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, I prefer a Sixties song. In this case "Friday On My Mind" by The Easybeats. Dude works all week in a crap job, counting out the days until he can go out and get pissed (or whatever, YMMV). If my employers are reading, IN NO WAY do I relate to this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In a similar mould to Smithers-Jones, see also Len Price 3 - Mr Grey
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZoUSsWo5b4

    All you talk about is work
    And it's driving her berserk
    Since they saw that you were keen
    Turned you into a machine
    You're a big name at the bank
    Pat yourself upon the back
    Cos she's leaving you today
    And there's nothing you can say
    Mr Grey
    What went wrong for Mr Grey?
    Came home early from work one day
    Cut himself and quietly slipped away

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...