Friday 17 July 2020

Elvis Fridays #5: Covers & Inspiration


My last week at work before the summer break... though I do have to back in for one day in a week's time for interviews. We normally get 3 or 4 applications when we advertise a job because we're not well known in the sector for paying people what they're worth... but this week we had 28 applicants. Sign of the times.

Bit of a traumatic day yesterday as our new kitten Cosmo decided to launch himself out of the bathroom window into the back garden, landing on the patio. A quick trip to the vets and a hundred and fifty quid check-up and x-ray later... he seems OK. One of his nine lives is definitely gone though.

I should be feeling happy today, but it's going to take more than just temporary release to cure this fug. I can already feel the end of August fast approaching...

Get Happy!! (with two exclamation marks - which grammarians everywhere will tell you is unnecessary) is what Elvis Costello told us to do on his fourth album, a collection of pithy bursts of soul, rock, ska pop punk and more, including some choice covers.

The big "hit", I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down was first recorded by Sam & Dave in 1967. If you're only familiar with Elvis's version, the original may sound like it's being played at the wrong speed. But give it a minute or two and it soon turns into a monster soul weepie.



Of course, Elvis made it his own. The video features some great dance moves from the Attractions, plus Elvis eating a plate of chips with a slice of lemon on the harbour side - not a seagull in sight.

I Stand Accused was originally recorded in 1965 by Tony Colton & The Big Boss Band...



I'd never heard that version before today, but I have to say I love it. Great trumpets. I'm not sure if Elvis had heard it when he recorded the song though... likely he was more familiar with the version by The Merseybeats, which is a lot closer to what he did with the song.



I did also check out the version by Isaac Hayes... although that turned out to be a different song entirely... but still worthy of your attention, if you've got a spare 11 1/2 minutes...



You still can't beat Elvis though...



However, my favourite cover on Get Happy!! is Getting Mighty Crowded, which was written by Van McCoy and originally recorded by Betty Everett...



That's pretty fine. Real Supremes vibe to the backing track there.

But is it better than Elvis...?



2 minutes and 9 seconds. That's the way to do it!

I bet Kevin Rowland was a fan of that too.

OK, what about that other Elvis?

The one pictured on the cover of Shoplifters Of The World Unite by The Smiths (and in the video).


Well, they didn't just steal his image, did they?

They also stole his tunes...



You can't blame Johnny too much.

The original is irresistible...




8 comments:

  1. The Betty Everett version is very good. Some will prefer it to the Elvis cover version

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they wouldn't be wrong, I guess, if that was the first version they knew.

      Delete
  2. Oh no, so sorry to hear about Cosmo, but so glad he seems OK. I think that must be Lesson One of many life lessons he has yet to learn, no wonder they have nine lives.

    Always interesting to compare covers with originals, I'll be back later for a proper listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you’ll finally get a break from work. Important to switch off totally so hope you can. Being distracted by kamikaze kittens is one way!! (Grammatically wrong I now know.)

    The Sam & Dave version sounds way too slow so Elvis all the way. Like George however I do prefer the Betty Everett version of that song and it will alway be Presley for me, so sorry Johnny.

    Hope you’re going to take a break from blogging too (if you feel you need to) - We’d miss you but that Top 100 countdown must have been hard going. One of life’s accomplishments though, as you said.

    Happy holidays!!!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alyson. Full time Daddy Daycare for the next few weeks, so I'll probably need the sanity this place brings me more than ever...

      Delete
  4. Get Happy!! is my favorite Costello album. He has introduced me to so many artists I might never heard without his inspired covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those that grew on me over the years. I seem to remember I bought it in a 3 For £20 sale with two other early Costello albums (the deluxe re-issues, too) so I was drowning in Elvis at the time and may not have given Get Happy!! as much attention as it deserved.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...