Tuesday 14 July 2020

Hot 100 #1


There was another One D... band I could have chosen to illustrate the final edition in the Hot 100 Countdown... fortunately, Swiss Adam saved me from having to go there when he suggested One Dove.

One Dove - Breakdown

The Swede also suggest these guys, who were only disqualified for being ones rather than one, which wouldn't have worked as well, image wise.

The Only Ones - Another Girl, Another Planet

OK, confession time.

I've been dreading this week since I started this countdown, way way back in January 2018. (Yes, I've been at this for more than two years.)

Partly because I knew there would be thousands of potential ONE songs.

Partly because I knew it'd be impossible to find them amidst all the BlutONES and UndertONES songs, and all the songs about bones and phones; everyone, anyone and no one; money and baloney.

I didn't dread it because I wondered what the winner would be though. I've known that since January 2018.

It's obvious is it not? says Charity Chic.

Chesney Hawkes - The One and Only

Well, quite.

Before you dismiss it completely, let's not forget that it was written by Nik Kershaw, and came from a movie in which Roger Daltrey played Chezzer's dad.

And, while we're on the subject of Ones & Only... and Only Ones, for that matter... I may as well re-direct you back to this, from way back in 2013...

My Top Ten Only One Songs

George will be disappointed to see that Huey Lewis only got to #2 in that countdown. And he was beaten by The Charlatans, for Pete's sake... what was I thinking?

Any other really obvious winners?

Swiss Adam?

The Stone Roses - This Is The One (There's your winner, right there!)

"Could be..." as they used to say on Hong Kong Fooey.

But wait... stop the clock! (As Anneka Rice used to shout.) Here comes Rigid Digit...

Bardo - One Step Further

I think it's fair to say I haven't heard that since 1982. However, I was 10 in 1982, and I seem to recall being quite a fan. If you'd asked me, I'd have said this actually won Eurovision that year, but it didn't. It was beaten by Nicole. Still, neither of them were in the same league as the 1981 winners. Witness my nascent sexual awakening at 1 minute 32 seconds on that video.

You may have noticed I'm holding off on the lists this week, folks. There's a reason for that. Over to C...

Blimey Rol, incredible stuff. This must be like a full-time job - perhaps you should charge us for your services to blogging?

I'm not even going to add anything, happy just to see what comes up.

The truth is, C, last week nearly broke me. And the prospect of copying and pasting all the one suggestions... and then finding links for the bloody things... I just couldn't take it!

And then Lynchie said this...

Rol - I think you should turn this series into a book.

I would ask who'd read it... but I guess you guys have answered that question over the past two and a half years. For which, I will be eternally grateful... but not so grateful that I could face the colossal workload of this final post.

And then, after whittling his shortlist down to 600, The Swede came to my rescue...

Here's what's left from my hard-drives. Sorry there are so many - for gawd's sake don't post them all!   

Do you know what, Swede? That's the best advice I've been given in all my blogging career.

What I'm going to do instead is choose ONE song from each contributor... beyond the ones suggested above.

If anybody cares to see the full list of suggestions, you can do so here.

Charity Chic...

Bob Marley - One Love

John Medd...

Weezer - The Angel and the One

Swiss Adam...

Suede - The Beautiful Ones

Lynchie (seconding Charity Chic)...

John Martyn - One World

Rigid Digit...

Big Country - One Great Thing

George...

Leo Sayer - One Man Band

Alyson...

Queen - One Vision

Jim in Dubai...

Haircut 100 - Love Plus One

Douglas in Canada...

The Tragically Hip - The Darkest One

(Part of me thinks I should have instituted a filtration policy such as this weeks ago.)

Finally, as seems only fitting, here's my Number One contributor... at least in terms of the number of suggestions he's submitted during the lifetime of this series... The Swede.

Bruce Springsteen - She's The One

Fitting, also, that it all comes back to Bruce. Thanks for that, Swede.


But wait! There is one more of you who gets a shout this week.

And interestingly, though he often provides multiple strong suggestions, he chose only one song this  time.

Over to Martin...

Just pitching the one this week, mostly because it must surely be the winner...

How right you are, Martin.

(Special mention to Lynchie who guessed the original version, a worthy runner-up.)

As I said at the start, I knew this song would be the winner of the final week of my Hot 100 even before I published the first post. It is, quite simply, perfect...




Which brings us to the end of this feature.

I sometimes wondered if I'd ever reach the end, but I'm glad I did. Chalk it up as another of life's little accomplishments... and thank you all again for playing along. It wouldn't have been half as much fun... and I definitely wouldn't have made it this far... without your contributions.

Final word goes to The Swede...

A thought occurred whilst mulling... I trust you'll be doing a final entry the week after next for zeroes?

Now I don't like to be one to disappoint, Swede, but I just can't face that right now. (Neither can I face "Half Songs" or "Quarter Songs" or anything else, for that matter. If I never see another number again, it'll be too soon.)

However - that's not to say I won't welcome your contributions. If anyone wants to compile a Top Ten Zero Songs and submit it for Guest Post Thursday, I will be happy to let you have the space.

I have got an idea for a feature to replace this one, and I'll be kicking that off in a couple of weeks' time. I've been itching to get to it for at least a year now... and it will require your suggestions (though I'm hoping it won't lead to quite so many as the last few weeks of the Hot 100 has). I hope you'll join me and play along...


18 comments:

  1. A series of epic proportions Rol and one which has entered into the annals of blogging history. Worthy of a blue plaque
    I'll have a think about zeros - 3 0r 4 spring to mind immediately

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a hell of a song, isn't it? Perfect, as you rightly say.

    Zeroes... and what abut minuses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't you know it Martin, Bob Dylan wrote a song covering both those bases - Love Minus Zero/No Limit.

      Delete
  3. I hope everyone has read my comments above. I won't be doing zeroes myself, but feel free to submit your own guest posts... similarly for fractions, minuses et. al.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A massively enjoyable series Rol, one that I'll be dipping back into for some time to catch up with fully. I actually missed many weeks worth of entries throughout my 2019 annus horribilis, but have probably hugely over compensated with suggestions in recent weeks. I promise to be a little more user friendly in your forthcoming new series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As CC said, a series of epic proportions and hats off to you for for making it to the end. We were all 2 years and 6 months younger when it started - I’ve had a few jobs that have lasted less time (and I’m still in touch with some of the people). Give yourself a bit of a break now and think very wisely before embarking on anything else quite so epic. Well done that blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Rol, a great achievement! If anyone's interested I'm gonna compile a Spotify playlist of all the 1s and post it here and/or over at my face - if that's alright?

    Zero? There is only one choice:

    Sweet - Sweet FA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Massive achievement, really enjoyable and humbled to have played a small part in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic stuff, Rol, totally in awe of your achievement. It's series like this which bring brightness, fun and energy to the week and a great sense of community too. I think everyone would agree that this has been especially appreciated in these current times - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Very good of you, JM. Sadly, not a Spotify user so can't partake, but I'm sure others will be able to.

      Delete
    2. You can get it for free - not sure if that would sway it?

      Delete
    3. What? Free forever? How does that work.

      I've been happy enough with Google Play for the past few years but now they're turning it into youtube music which I'm not that happy about. I am looking for an alternative once Play gets switched off forever.

      Delete
  10. A great idea and it has led me, and possibly others, to new artistes and songs. Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fine achievement Rol - keeping us reprobates entertained for nigh on 2 years.
    I can't be the only one who started pre-preparing lists before each installment, and then editing down as I turned up late on a Tuesday.

    A zero song that fits with Elvis Fridays - Mr Costello with Less Than Zero.
    And yes, I have a few more.

    But surely only one track fits the moment as we reach the end of the countdown (no, not that one).

    New Musik - Living By Numbers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Rol,
    What a great series and like all the comments above thanks for spending the time over the past couple of years, really great seeing all the choices each week and was really chuffed to have my pick selected a couple of the weeks :-)
    You have a great blog and i look forward to reading it each day keep up the great work...............

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...