Thursday 2 July 2020

Guest Post Thursday #5: Top Ten Booze Songs

We have a new guest this week on Guest Post Thursday - our old friend Rigid Digit, and even better... it's his round!


Take it away, RD...




3 months of Lockdown hasn’t actually been as bad as initially feared.

Work continues, buying music continues unabated.  And after early difficulties, shopping, beer and spirits, and a selection of snacks (including Frazzles, Pork Scratchings, and Ritz Crackers) continue to arrive at my home.

As advised, daily exercise involves a 30 or 60 minute walk around the local area.  12 years I’ve lived here, and I’ve discovered new roads, paths, and houses I never knew existed.

One such walk, on a warm evening, concluded with a walk up the hill towards home and past the local Pub.

It was at that point it hit me – “I could murder a Pint”

Yes, I can imbibe at home – but the sitting in a Pub nursing a Pint of frothing ale is but a dream at this time.

The potential easing of restrictions suggests Pubs and Restaurants may be opening soon, but until that time when I/We can enter the local hostelry again, here are 10 Boozy Based Tracks to keep the Spirits up (do you see what I did there?)



Bad Manners did a sort of Two Tone Ska thing with added Music Hall.  Buster Bloodvessel’s gurning upped the comedy angle, as did frequent appearances on Tiswas.
This track may not be strictly “about” booze, but namechecks Lemmy’s favourite drink (after Jack Daniels), and is one their very best.


Like a lot of Blues tracks this one deals with loss of your woman and drowning your sorrows.
First version I knew of this was John Lee Hooker – George’s version just has more danger, and “bar-room” about it. (Is “bar-room” a descriptive term?)

Also covered by the Cast of Glee – shurely shome mishtake …No, it did actually happen


Straight out of Canvey Island, plying no nonsense R&B, and you wouldn’t want to start a fight with any of them.  A supposed autobiographical tale of songwriters Nick Lowe and Gypie Mayo consuming too many Kahlua based drinks at a John Lee Hooker show.

Despite having no original members, Dr Feelgood continue to tour to this day – and a thoroughly great show is guaranteed


The Irish do like a drink (apparently), and it would take about a month to complete a Pub Crawl in Dublin’s Temple Bar (you may also need a second mortgage).  Those in the North are equally thirsty too.  In my experience they also have some of the most welcoming Pubs I’ve ever been in.

Give Me Rum, give me brandy,
Give me Vodka, give me beer


The Who By Numbers isn’t a bad album, just often forgotten in the pantheon of ‘Oo greats.

OK – it’s a patchy album.  After Who’s Next and Quadrophenia they just sound a bit laboured in places.  But the good outweighs the not so good, and is ripe for re-discovery.

This track deals with the darker side, and catalogues Pete Townsend's experiences and reasons for giving up the demon drink.


Show me the way
To the next whisky bar
Oh, don't ask why
Oh, don't ask why

There are 9 official albums in The Doors catalogue – I reckon all you need is the debut (from which this track is lifted) and The Best Of The Doors, and you’re pretty much covered.

Also, this track is apparently responsible for Status Quo’s change in style from psychedelic pop to heads down no nonsense mindless boogie


This track is never less than an absolute joy.  Jangling guitars, speedy delivery (all done and dusted in under 2 and a half minutes), and a video featuring mad/uncomfortable dancing, a claymation sequence, and a cameo from Phill Jupitus.


He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink

And somehow this song escaped the BBC censors with the line “pissing the night away” – George Formby’s harmless, but suggestive, “With My Little Stick of Blackpool Rock" gets banned, but a song about alcohol abuse containing a naughty word is absolutely fine.


Fresh over from Ireland, the band need a hit single to repay Decca’s faith.  They deliver a re-working of an old folk song, hit the top 10.  It gets too much for Eric Bell who goes back home, but Phil Lynott gets a taste of Rock & Roll lifestyle and a legend is born.

10. Underworld – Born Slippy

Lager, Lager, Lager …



Thanks, RD... I've long thought of doing a similar Top 10 myself, but was always crushed by the sheer weight of drinking songs available. Good to see my beloved whiskey well-represented, even though I haven't touched a drop in 20 years. (Can it really be that long?)

RD also had quite a few leftovers in his list, so maybe I can persuade him back for a volume 2. Or perhaps you fancy a go at compiling your own drinking Top Ten. As always, the door is open for anyone on Guest Post Thursdays, and as I speak, there's a blank space in the diary next week... 


4 comments:

  1. Lovely guest post from RD - you can never have too much Milk & Alcohol, if you see what I mean.
    I wonder if the Dead Kennedys' memorable number about being, erm, too drunk...is in your leftovers? You know the one I mean I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't, but it should've been (I forgot about that one)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rol check your email (and spam folder)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes a great guest post and although I don’t always know all the songs posted around here I’m familiar with most of these. Happy Hour probably my favourite. Something I haven’t done for years is spend an afternoon in a pub with a load of good friends. Might be a while yet? but will be quite something when it can happen.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...