Thursday 30 July 2020

Guest Post Thursday #8: Top Ten Booze Songs III

I'm taking a little blogger-break at the moment to clear my head, though Saturday Snapshots will continue as usual... and so will Guest Post Thursday... well, this week and next, for sure. After that, it's up to you. 

Today's guest is probably the blogger I've known longest (or certainly as long as JC), since he is one of the few people who followed me over from my previous blog, Sunset Over Slawit. He's also an excellent writer (check out his novel Drawn To The Deep End if you haven't already), and someone I've been honoured to collaborate with in the past.    

This is his first appearance at My Top Ten though, and it took the booze to tempt him.

Take it away, Martin...




The thought that I could have a crack at part three of the Top Ten Booze Songs came about purely because two great songs occurred to me that neither Rigid Digit nor C had mentioned. Of course, I then had to think of eight more, so apologies for quality control issues - maybe this is the bottom ten booze songs?


In the first verse, these vices are all the Manc mono-brows find. By the second verse, they are all they need. Dependency alert, kids! Could have gone for Champagne Supernova, I suppose (Part IV, anyone?)

(I'm keeping schtum over this one... except to say, I find it appropriate that the video begins in a toilet. - Rol.)


For everyone who has ever had trouble getting served, when the bar staff see through you to their mate or the person they fancy, and serve them first. My brother bought this on 7".


Now I walked into a beer tavern
To give a girl a nice time.
When I entered I had forty-five dollars
When I left I had one dime.

Wasn't that a beer drinkin' woman
Don't you know, man, don't you know?
She was a beer drinkin' woman.
I don't want to see her no more.


Well, it's got Mick Jones in, so forgive this bubbly but instantly forgettable glass of bland party tune.


A track that has suffered from its ubiquity. I know it's a Neil Diamond song originally, but this is the version everyone knows and sings along to. Goes to my head indeed.

(It goes without saying that I prefer the original. - Rol.)


The sort of song that ought to be playing in the background of every bar scene in Roadhouse. About as far removed from the kind of pub I'd like to frequent. Wasn't this William Hague's favourite song? Or did he only claim fourteen beers...? :)


That the highpoint of their commercial success was this atypical, almost novelty song may rankle the band. I bet the PRS cheques don't though.


Whilst I welcomed the relaxation of licensing laws, I sort of miss the ritual of closing time, the bell, last orders at the bar, getting another round in quick ... and knowing the same ritual was happening in every other pub all over the place. "You don't have to go home but you can't stay here." 

(Including this made up for Oasis. - Rol.)


A sobering (see what I did there?) reminder that just has to follow Closing Time. Not his finest moment, of course, but you can't argue with the sentiment.

1. Gene - Sick, Sober and Sorry

And a tune for the morning after, perhaps? Although any remorse has to be tempered with the opening lines: "Please don't stop me from drinking, It's my only joy..." And if I'm honest, this is the only tune here that would me in my top ten booze songs, if Rigid Digit and C hadn't bagged all the best ones already! Anyway, here's a good live version, with an appropriate introduction:



Thank you, Martin. You know I love Gene almost as much as you do, though I'd kind of forgotten how good this one was. Makes me miss them all the more.

Another fine selection of booze songs... though I doubt we've covered all of them. If you fancy contributing your own list, you know where I am.


8 comments:

  1. Cheers, Rol - am very glad indeed to feature here, even if it's with such a motley selection of songs. Thank God for Gene, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Gene track (never heard much by them). Nothing by Serious Drinking in the 3rd top ten drinking songs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Round 3 - I had Oasis, Splodge and UB40 on my back-up list. Semisonic and Terrorvision nearly made it the second list, but I only remembered them about a week later.
    Me thinks I might have to investigate Gene further - I never did get past Olympian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clink clink Martin!
    I like these motley selections; Splodge were on my back-up list too; to borrow from Bill Bryson, indeed, it's one of the three things you just can't do in life: you can't make a waiter (or, in this case, bar staff person) see you until they're ready to see you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are the other two?

      Delete
    2. I must admit I couldn't remember the other two, I just knew there were three and remembered the waiter one! So just looked it up: (from 'The Lost Continent: Travels in Small Town America') "There are things you just can't do in life. You can't beat the phone company, you can't make a waiter see you until he's ready to see you, and you can't go home again."

      Delete
    3. A little sad, that last one.

      Delete
  5. Very glad to have sounded a clarion call for Gene. If I might be so bold, this is a good place to start for those wanting to know more: http://newamusements.blogspot.com/2014/03/this-is-as-good-as-it-gets.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...