Monday 6 July 2020

Positive T-Shirts For Negative Times


To cheer myself up, I bought a new T-shirt. It's the most money I ever spent on a T-shirt, but I'm not going on holiday this year and I only filled my car up with petrol twice in the last three months.

Mark Radcliffe says that men over a certain age shouldn't wear T-shirts with bands or movies or comic book characters on. I couldn't disagree more. But I've taken to buying ones that don't obviously spill their allegiances and will only be recognised by a select few. This one joins my Little Lebowski Urban Achievers, Blue Moon Detective Agency and Overlook Hotel T-shirts. I'm waiting for another Bruce fan to stop me in the street and give me the thumbs up.

I'm obviously rubbish at taking selfies, and frankly I look pretty rough on that, don't I? I thought about waiting till the sun was out and doing some artful pose in the sunshine - or putting a healthy, sparkly filter on it... but this blog is supposed to represent my life, and that photo gives a pretty good indication of how I feel right now. Washed out, bags with bags under my eyes, in desperate need of a haircut... not much to smile about. (Then again, I rarely smile on photos because I always think I look an idiot when I smile.)

I took another, more flattering picture, and thought about sending this one to John Medd... but I couldn't face ending up in his rejects folder.


There are many great songs on that debut album, and this probably isn't the most obvious choice. But it's the one that most fits my mood right now...

And somebody said, "Hey man, did you see that?
His body hit the street with such a beautiful thud"
I wonder what the dude was sayin'
Or was he just lost in the flood?

Well, hey man, did you see that?
Lord, those poor cats are sure messed up
I wonder what they were gettin' into
Or were they all just lost in the flood?   



12 comments:

  1. "men over a certain age shouldn't wear T-shirts"?!?!? Really?

    I'll be 70 next month and I'll wear whatever I want and no English ponce is going to tell me different.

    Here's a photo of my fave T-Shirt - a 65th Birthday present:

    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4c/33/74/4c33743c896b094c763b5cdf96c5abed.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Rol, great pics. Lockdown hair looking good! And great minds too... so funny as I did exactly the same thing for exactly the same reason and also spent more on it than any other. Not same t-shirt of course (that would be plain weird) but one I've been taken with for a while, and a friend suggested that wearing it is like sending a message to the cognoscenti. I might have to post similarly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm living in tee shirts at the moment; including this one. Thanks for the namecheck, but The Swede is the man you should be pointing at. And, er, if you were to submit that photo then don't obscure your whole face - leave the eyes visible (for a true Swedey McSwedeface!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life in lockdown is changing our purchasing habits and a quality T-shirt with a slightly subtle allegiance is just the way to go at the moment - A real pick-me-up hopefully. As ever you are too hard on yourself as you don't look too washed out at all, just very young (are you lying to us about your real age?). Love the sound of the Blue Moon Detective Agency tee. My fave is a black T-shirt with the words "there's nothing we can't face....except for bunnies". Again a subtle nod to an allegiance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man of a certain age AND a T-Shirt wearer.
    I have great respect for Mark Radcliffe, but in this instance he is wrong.
    My last few T-Shirt purchases: Stiff Little Fingers, Danger Mouse, Tom and Jerry, Bullseye, and (another - my third I think?) replacement Ramones.
    Be proud of the logo you wear on your chest - it is a useful signifier of like minded souls, and has been known to spark pub conversations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the Bullseye T-shirt says "Look At What You Could Have Won".

      Delete
    2. It should do - it should be the legend on the back, maybe with a picture of a speedboat.

      or alternatively:
      lets have a look at what you could've worn ...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...