Tuesday 7 July 2020

Hot 100 #2


My antipathy towards U2 is well documented so you may be surprised to find them at the top of the page this week. But really, there weren't a whole lot of strong contenders... and I did want to give U2 some credit to make up for years of taking the mick. There was a point sometime in 1988/9 where I thought they may be OK. Not earlier - I still think The Joshua Tree is one of the most overrated albums ever recorded... but Rattle & Hum... that, I didn't mind. So here, for the record, is my favourite U2 song. It's not a long list...

U2 - Angel of Harlem

Other contenders this week included...

Soul 2 Soul - Back To Life

I know that holds a special place in many a heart, but I was never a fan. Still, they were better than this lot...

2 Unlimited - No Limits

Truly the late 80s / early 90s were a dire time for chart music. I was in my late teens at the time and the tracks above largely forced me to venture outside the charts for the first time in my musical history.

What else do we have?

Johnny Cash & The Tennessee Two

Two Door Cinema Club - Undercover Martyn

The Other Two - Tasty Fish

Two Gallants - Despite What You've Been Told

At Swim Two Birds - Little White Lion

Two Tone Pinks - Don't Lecture Me

Two Witches - Irresistible

Two Lone Swordsmen - Glide By Shooting

Two Tons O' Fun - I Got The Feeling

Two Dollar Pistols - Hands Up!

(My computer also suggested FleeTWOod Mac!)

OK, on with the show.

George starts us off this week...

Carl Butler and Pearl - Two of a Kind

No other song will touch that, if only for the sheer majesty of Pearl's vocal (and Carl's ability to use only one side of his mouth whilst singing).

Initially, I couldn't find that anywhere on the internet, but George was kind enough to send me a link so you can enjoy it in all its glory.

George tells me he has eight of their albums.

Give yourself a moment to let that sink in.

Next up was C...

The first to spring to mind is... 

Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston: It Takes Two

That was the first thing to spring to my mind too, C. Though I still have nightmares about the awful Rod Stewart / Tina Turner version. The Sonny & Cher version (as suggested by Martin) is quite fun though.


I don't suppose anyone will mention that song about little boys by a certain person...although it was covered by Splodgenessabounds.

I loved that song when I was young. It breaks my heart that we can't listen to it anymore without awful connotations.

Splodgenessabounds - Two Little Boys

Not quite the same, is it?

George goes one better though...

Kenny Rogers & The First Edition - Two Little Boys

Apologies for suggesting such an execrable version of an execrable song.

Huge fan of Mr. Rogers & his edition, but... yes. Still, it's preferable to the more famous version now, I guess.

Speaking of Splodgenessabounds (as we were), the more obvious suggestion was surely this...?

(Alyson suggested this later in the proceedings.)

Splodgenessabounds - Two Pints Of Lager & A Packet Of Crisps

Martin was the first to observe that I have my work cut out for me this week.

As for "two", there are going to be loads, aren't there? Don't envy you collating them.

I'll let you into a secret... last week was training / CPD week at work. I attended all the training sessions online. But I also... multi-tasked. Which is why there was no pause in transmission this week.

So here are some. No doubt I'll forget something again this week, my mind is getting soft.

I think that goes for all of us after the past few months.

Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U

...or the original...

Prince - Nothing Compares 2 U

Prince - Ain't About 2 Stop

Not to mention...

Prince - Money Don't Matter 2Nite

(A favourite of mine.)

Prince - When 2 Are In Love

Prince & Chaka Khan - Don't Talk 2 Strangers

Prince - If I Love U 2Nite

...and a load more. Knock yourself out googling them.

Back to Martin...

Bill Withers & Grover Washington Jr. - Just The Two Of Us

Strong contender. I have a certain perverse affection for this version too...

Will Smith - Just The Two Of Us

Although the youtube url for that starts with Wamk... which is an unfortunate typo if ever there was one.

Oh, and this...

Eminem - '97 Bonnie & Clyde

Yes, I know that's a 97... and we did feature it way back in 1984 when we were doing that week of the Hot 100 on Ceefax, before the interweb. But it's based on the two songs above, so I'll break loads of rules and throw it in.

Back to Martin...

Richard Thompson - Two Left Feet

Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock - It Takes Two

...and, er, Two Hearts by Phil Collins :)

Not too bad, through the window of nostalgia.

Onto Swiss Adam...

The Liminanas - Two Sisters

The Associates - Party Fears Two

Serious contender.

The Jesus and Mary Chain - The Two Of Us

FKA Twigs - Two Weeks

Pete Molinari - When Two Worlds Collide

That'll be the newest song on here this week then. I was the second youtube view of this video when I clicked on it last week.

The Clash - Capital Radio Two

Gary Clail - Two Thieves and A Liar

Blimey. Gary Clail. There's a name I haven't heard in 30 years.

Reverend Horton Heat - Duel at the Two O'Clock Bell

Stockholm Monsters - Life's Two Faces

Yo La Tengo - By Two's

I'm going to question the use of that apostrophe, YLT.

Sharon Tandy - Two Can Make It Together

Excellent tune.

The Human Beinz - Two Of A Kind

A colleague of mine once made a jingle for a garage out of a Human Beinz song. (Not that one though. This one.)

Thee Oh Sees - Two Drummers Disappear

I love that that appears to be from an album called The Master's Bedroom Is Worth Spending A Night In. 

The Go- Betweens - I Need Two Heads

Love those really early Go-Betweens songs.

And probably loads more...

Thank you, SA. Definitely loads more.

Such as these, from Charity Chic...

The Jayhawks - Two Angels

Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes

What a video.

Laura Cantrell - Two Seconds

A John Peel favourite.

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Two Gunslingers

I may be back.

I hope so, CC, because those were top suggestions.

John Medd next, limiting himself to just one obscure offering...

The Beatles - Two Of Us

Never heard of them.

Time for Douglas, who made the journey from Canada in record time this week...

Oh my, I somehow got here before The Swede published a list a clothyard long! I just have to get a few early suggestions in, then perhaps come back later after some real thought.

For starters, since I (indirectly) promoted The Lucksmiths last week, here are two solid suggestions from the Australian artists of winsome wordplay:

The Lucksmiths -The Art of Cooking For Two

The Lucksmiths -Two Storeys

Can't go wrong with the Lucksmiths.

Then of course there is the master of meticulous songcraft himself, the creative genius behind The Blue Nile (who births an album roughly every fifteen years):

Paul Buchanan - Two Children

Makes one want to smile and cry at the same time. And perhaps me especially after I discovered that the vinyl copy of the album from which it comes (2012's "Mid Air") which I purchased on release date for under $30 is now going on Discogs for something in the mid $300's. A better investment than real estate. And speaking of which, there is:

Real Estate - Two Arrows

As well as another suggestion from Kentucky's finest:

My Morning Jacket -Two Halves

Or if you are up for "seconds", and looking for something more ethereal and dreamy, there is my favourite shoegaze band:

Lush - Second Thought

I'm presuming you meant...

Lush - Second Sight

If not, I'm lost.

And for my usual Canadian offering, you could do worse than save some room for Montreal's beloved and finest indie rock band (no, don't worry, not Arcade Fire):

The Dears - The Second Part

I'm allowing those last two, but I didn't want to open the can of worms that was "second songs" or we really would have been here all week.

On to Alyson, who was missing in action last week but returns full force this week...

So, so many 2 suggestions. I am struggling to come up with anything better than Party Fears Two so agree with that one and here's a little extract from when I wrote about that song after my trip to Dundee.

'It’s certainly a strange title for a song and tricky to understand the lyrics other than that a party is involved. Billy did explain the origin however, 'My wee brother was at a party watching two girls who wanted to come in. They were smashing windows and attempting to kick the door in with their stiletto heels, which he admired, so he christened them the Party Fears Two and I pinched the title from him.''

That's a great explanation. I love that song, especially the opening line.

Sadly, Alyson's other suggestions all fall foul of the the Tom Robinson Rule.

Meat Loaf - Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad

As mentioned last time, if not for the rule above, this would have been a potential winner this week and last. Classic Jim Steinman songwriting.

Len Barry - 1-2-3

Spice Girls - 2 Become 1 (Great Christmas song but not about Christmas)

Good luck with all of this my friend - If 'It Take Two' weeks, that's fine!

Thanks, Alyson. Fortunately, as explained above, I had a little extra time this week. We'll have to see what happens next week though...

Time for Rigid Digit, who wants to blow away our cobwebs this Tuesday morning...

Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes To Midnight

Iron Maiden - 2AM

I figured there would be a load more 2am song, but it seems only Iron Maiden are hard enough to stay up that late. Anyone else who stays up that late appears to not be happy about it...

Alejandro Escovedo - Pissed Off, 2AM

Jennifer Warnes - Pissed Off, 2AM

Back to RD...

Roxy Music - 2HB

Why aren't there more songs about how hard your pencils are?

Madness - My Girl 2

Spin Doctors - Two Princes

Gary Gl***er - Rock n Roll Part 2

See the Two Little Boys discussion above, sadly.

The Human League cover may get that one onto the list...

Yes, why not?

The Human League - Rock n Roll Part 2

Cast of Oliver! - You've Got To Pick a Pocket or Two

Ron Moody seemed the obvious choice there.

It's at this point that I have to give Rigid Digit a special award this week, for nabbing most of my top contenders in a very short space of time. Any of these could have been this week's winner. In fact, I had them listed together in almost the same order you presented them, RD...

Queen - Death On Two Legs

Adam Ant - Goody Two Shoes

Joe Jackson - Breaking Us In Two

Joe Jackson - Be My Number Two

I added the second Joe Jackson tune myself and seriously considered giving them joint winner status in the same way I had three winners last week. Sadly, a more obvious choice presented itself. But any other week...

Over to Jim in Dubai...

I fully endorse Swiss Adams choice of Party Fears 2, still sounds great and would be a worthy winner.

It would, wouldn't it?

I can add to this with...

Belle & Sebastian - Dirty Dream No 2

Northern Portrait - I Give You Two Seconds to Entertain Me

That's worthy of further investigation.

Orange Juice - Poor Old Soul (Part 2)

Orange Juice - Two Hearts Together

The Crotcheted Doughnut Ring - Two Little Ladies (Azalia & Rodedendrum)

Keith TOTP - Two Of The Beatles Are Dead

That was on my list.

Kirsty MacColl - England 2 Columbia 0

That should have been.

Now at this point in proceedings, I was feeling pretty smug about being way ahead of the game and well on track for a timely post with no overtime required.

And you know what happened then, don't you?

Enter: The Swede...

Hi folks. Sorry I'm late. I culled this list of appropriate tunes from my hard-drives a couple of weeks back and have attempted to take out anything already suggested - apologies for any I've duplicated...

OK, time to pull an all-nighter!

At least The Swede started with two he knew would be on my list...

Bruce Springsteen - Two Hearts

Bruce Springsteen - Two Faces

To which I'll quick add this...

Bruce Springsteen - Two For The Road

On with the show...

Meat Puppets - Two Rivers

Alternative TV - Splitting in Two

Eddie & the Hot Rods - Highlands One, Hopefuls Two (TRB Rule?)

Yes.

Grant Green - Sonnymoon For Two

Songs:Ohia - Two Blue Lights

Holger Czukay - Two Bass Shuffle

Silly me. How could I forget Holger Czukay?

Brigid Mae Power - The Two Worlds

Pugwash - Two Wrongs

Jellyfish - Two All Beef Patties

Sadly couldn't find that. I love Jellyfish, but that appears to be a rarity.

The Copper Family - Two Young Brethren

One for Mike Harding.

General Saint & Clint Eastwood - Two Bad DJ

Yo La Tengo - Two Trains

Miles Davis - Two Faced

Ultimate Painting - Two From the Vault

Chris Forsyth & the Solar Motel Band - Two Minutes Love

This is the Kit - Two Pence Piece

Kane Strang - Two Hearts and No Brain

The Wedding Present - Two Bridges

That was on my list.

Michael Nesmith - Two Different Roads

Father John Misty - Two Wildly Different Perspectives

Spooner's Crowd - Two in the Morning

Jan Eden - The Only Thing Between You Two is Me

Western Skies Motel - Two Worlds

Culture - Two Sevens Clash

Tom Robinson Rule.

Cowboy Nation - Two Miles to Town

Green on Red - Thing or Two

Green on Red - Two Lovers (Waitin' to Die)

Green on Red - Two Bibles

The Stranglers - It Only Takes Two to Tango

The Stranglers - Two Sunspots

Polar Bear - Two Storms

Rachael Dadd - Two Coiled Springs

Nice bit of banjo.

Rachael Dadd - Two Islands

Emily Portman - Two Sisters

Tom Waits - Two Sisters

Peggy Seeger - Two Sisters

Alasdair Roberts - Two Sisters

The Fall - Ivanhoe's Two Pence

The Fall - Two Face

The Kinks - Two Sisters

The Entourage Music & Theatre Ensemble - The Two Snails Who Went To The Funeral OF A Dead Leaf


Sam Beam & Jesca Hoop - We Two Are a Moon

Parquet Courts - Two Dead Cops

Lower Dens - Two Faced Love

Invisible Astro Healing Rhythm Quartet - Praise Two

Bill Ryder Jones - Two to Birkenhead

I like that one. I've heard it before.

U Roy - Two Ton Gulletto

Richard Dawson - Two Halves

Video freaked me out. Although I like the lyrics a lot. For a football song, that was good.

King L - Two Cars Collide

That's pretty good too.

Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne - Two Lovely Black eyes

This week's Captain Birdseye tune.

Willard Grant Conspiracy - Two Step

King Creosote - Party Fears Two

Excellent cover. Though I prefer this, as covers go...

The Divine Comedy - Party Fears Two

Slow Club - Two Cousins

John Lennon & Yoko Ono - Two Virgins (probably no need to link this one!)

No, that one calls for a short swim in a concrete wetsuit.

Wye Oak - Two Small Deaths

The Strangers ‎– Two To Make A Pair

The Jayhawks - Two Hearts

The Jayhawks - Two Minute Pop Song

Lee Perry & the Upsetters - Roots Train Number Two

Linton Kwesi Johnson - Two Sides of Silence

Mulatu Astatke & his Ethiopian Quintet - Love Mood For Two

John Peel would be proud.

The Gourds - Two Girls

Charalambides - Two Birds

Gilgamesh - Arriving Twice

Twice!? Wasn't 'Second' bad enough?

Chantage - Same Thing Twice

Sam Prekop - Practice Twice

Vivian Goldman - Same Thing Twice

Ryley Walker - I Will Ask You Twice

All those "Twice" songs and you didn't even find a space for this, Swede...?

Nancy Sinatra - You Only Live Twice

Or even this...?

Ian Hunter - Once Bitten Twice Shy

(Although I suppose that does break the Tom Robinson Rule.)

Bob Dylan - Don't Think Twice, It's All Right

At least you didn't forget his Bobness this week.

Bob Dylan - Two Soldiers

Bob Dylan - Workingman's Blues #2

Wire - Two Minutes

Out Hud - My Two Nads


Joe Mooney Quartet - Tea For Two

The Tears - Two Creatures

That would have been on my list. But I edited my list down. Just sayin'.

Syd Barrett - Two of a Kind

Prince Far I - Mighty Two Version

The Sea and Cake - Two Dolphins

A Small Good Thing - Twice as Evil as You

Pauline Murray - Two Shots

By this point, The Swede is just making up songs based on people who work in his local pub.

Ernest Tubb - Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right

That one, I would have expected from George.

Aldous Harding - Two Bitten Hearts

Elvis Costello - Two Little Hitlers

That was on my list. Along with this...

Elvis Costello - When I Was Cruel No. 2

Mark Lanegan - Two Horses

The Fiery Furnaces - Two Fat Feet

Game Theory - Choose Between Two Sons

Sam Prekop - Two Dedications

Roy Evans - Weary Yodelin Blues Part Two

Fresh from 1928, Pop-Pickers!

Neil Halstead - Two Stones in My Pocket

Robert Plant - Thru' With The Two Step


Let it be known, that in line with me keeping my sanity, I am going to heretofore limit The Swede to only 600 suggestions per week.

And after all that, I doubt very much that anyone will want to read my shortlist... although I think there's a couple at the top of my list that will a few of you kicking yourselves...

Big Audio Dynamite - E=MC2

Leonard Cohen - Chelsea Hotel #2

The Doors - Love Me Two Times

Mystery Jets - Two Doors Down

Bob Seger System - 2+2=?

Beach Boys - Games Two Can Play

Inspiral Carpets - Two Worlds Collide

Inspiral Carpets - Two Cows

Neil Diamond - Two-Bit Manchild

Drive-By Truckers - Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife

Ben Folds - Fred Jones, Pt 2

Diana Ross - Two Can Make It

Eddie Rabbit - Two Dollars In The Jukebox

William Bell - Trying To Love Two

Kenicke - Come Out 2Nite

Depeche Mode - Two Minute Warning 

The Lincolns - Two Parts Whiskey

Abba - Two For The Price Of One

Justin Currie - Two People

Danger Mouse, Daniele Luppi & Jack White - Two Against One

Courtney Marie Andrews - Two Cold Nights in Buffalo

Air Supply - Two Less Lonely People In the World

Etta James - Two Sides (To Every Story)

Gilbert O'Sullivan - Two's Company (Three Is Allowed)

Jefferson Airplane - Two Heads

The Chesterfields - Two Girls & A Treehouse

Johnny Cash - Two Timin' Woman

Half Man Half Biscuit - Keeping Two Chevrons Apart

Carrie Underwood - Two Black Cadillacs 

Elliot Smith - Waltz #2

Cat Stevens - Two Fine People

Chris Isaak - Two Hearts

David Byrne & St. Vincent - Dinner For Two

John Prine & Trisha Yearwood - When Two Worlds Collide

Magnetic Fields - Two Characters in Search of a Country Song

Suede - The 2 Of Us

Mary McGregor - Torn Between Two Lovers

Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper - Debbie Gibson Is Pregnant With My Two Headed Love Child

Elbow - K2

Scott Walker - Two Weeks Since You've Gone

Scott Walker - Two Ragged Soldiers

The Holloways - Two Left Feet

Ultrasound - Between Two Rivers

OK. Let there be an end to it.

This week's winner was first suggested by John Medd, then seconded by Martin. It wasn't my first thought, but once it was out there, I couldn't think of anything any more appropriate.

Sam has taken to singing this song thus...

Woohoo! Abbamebaddawawa!

Woohoo! Dabbaweewawameme!

I've told him what the actual words are and he sings them once or twice, then goes back to the nonsense. Actually, I think the nonsense words are even more appropriate, since pure pop should be nonsense... and this is a contender for the purest indie pop song ever written.

Pleased ta meetcha!



Only one more to go. And there can be only one winner... but what will it be?



29 comments:

  1. It's obvious is it not
    Chesney Hawkes - The One and Only

    ReplyDelete
  2. One World - John Martyn
    One Love - Bob Marley
    Medicine Head - One and One is One
    Sister John - I'm The One

    I may be back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies for puttings songs/artists in two different orders
      For cut and paste purposes
      John Martyn - One World
      Bob Marley -One Love

      Delete
  3. Just pitching the one this week, mostly because it must surely be the winner but also because there are probably even more 'one' songs than 'two', and I doubt you have another CPD week lined up :)

    Aimee Mann - One

    ReplyDelete
  4. The band would have to be The Only Ones. I'll return later when I've whittled my list of song suggestions down to 600.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The band should be One Dove (although Swede's suggestion is a good one).

    The Clash- One More Time
    The Stone Roses- This Is The One (there's your winner, right there)
    The Stone Roses- All For One (nobody's idea of a winner)
    The Stone Roses- One Love
    Bjork- One Day
    Happy Mondays Lazyitis- One Armed Boxer
    Colourbox- Looks Like We're Shy One Horse
    Folk Implosion- Natural One
    Edwyn Collins- One Is A Lonely Number
    Joe Strummer- Highway One Zero Street
    Fad Gadget- One Man's Meat
    The Asphodells- One minute's Silence
    Suede- Beautiful Ones
    BAD- Another One Rides The Bus
    St Etienne- She's The One
    The Beta Band- The Hard One
    The Velvet Underground- One Of These Days
    The Charlatans- The Only One I Know
    The Charlatans- One To Another
    Johnny Cash- One (by U know who)
    AC Maris- One Of Our Girls Has Gone Missing
    Madness- One Step Beyond
    Beastie Boys- Three MCs and One DJ
    Daft Punk- One More Time
    Death In Vegas- One More Time (a different one more time...)
    Carl Craig- One Day Soon
    Shara Nelson- One Goodbye In Ten (yep, Tom Robinson rule)
    Iggy Pop- Five Foot One (see above)
    The Jesus and Mary Chain- Deep One Perfect Morning
    The Replacements- Darlin' One
    The Who- A Quick One While He's Away (Billy Childish's cover of this is better tbh)
    Charlie Feathers- One Hand Loose









    ReplyDelete
  7. Blimey Rol, incredible stuff. This must be like a full-time job - perhaps you should charge us for your services to blogging?
    I'm not even going to add anything, happy just to see what comes up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harry Nilsson - "One"

    Rol - I think you should turn this series into a book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I'd like to second Charity Chic's choice of John Martyn - One World

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big Country - One Great Thing
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood - One September Monday
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood - One February Friday
    Yes - Going For The One
    Metallica - One

    and ...
    (you started it at the top of this post, and now I've broken a promise from a couple of weeks ago)

    U2 - One

    and if it couldn't get worse:

    Simple Minds - One Step Closer
    Simple Minds - For One Night Only

    Bardo - One Step Further
    Lena Martell - One Day In Your Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or even Lena Martell -One Day at a Time Sweet Jesus

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's the one.
      But we can have One Day In Your Life by Mickey The Monkey Wacko Jacko

      Delete
  11. We can all stop now. We have a clear winner.

    Yes, it's Bardo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Has anyine suggested Leo Sayer - I'm a one man band?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sir Mix-a-lot - One time's got no case

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Carter Family - I never loved but one
    Robbie Fulks - Tears only run one way
    PJ Harvey - one line
    The Fall - one day
    Neil Young - One of these days

    ReplyDelete
  15. A thought occurred whilst mulling....I trust you'll be doing a final entry the week after next for zeroes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You keep suggesting this, Swede. I'm tempted to let you do it!

      (I vote for either Elvis Costello or Bruce.)

      Delete
  16. This series started out quite simply with just a handful of suggestions per number but as C said it seems to have turned into a second full-time job for you, linking to all the suggestions. The end is in sight however (for the series).

    Kicking myself over Song 2 by Blur last week as it was in my library and although I recognised it when I played it, thought it was one of the many songs that seem to be have been renamed Track 2 or Song 2 over the years. Also apologies for my stupidity over the Tom Robinson rule - I seem to have just got it right at the end of the series.

    As usual not a lot of overlap with what's already been suggested in my library (the one from Planet Uncool) so here goes:

    Johnny Cash - One Piece At A Time
    Blondie - One Way Or Another
    Queen - One Vision
    Eagles - One Of These Nights
    Queen - Another One Bites The Dust
    Abba - One Of Us
    Mamas & the Papas - Dedicated to the One I Love
    Mica Paris - My One Temptation
    John Travolta & Olivia Newton John - You're The One That I Want
    Bee Gees - One
    Beautiful South - One Last Love Song
    Elvis Presley - One Night With You
    Daniel Bedingfield - If You're Not The One

    Also had Madness and Bardo but already gone. If this is the last in the series well done on the sheer epic nature of it. Be careful before starting something like this again! It's been fun, entertaining and educational as ever.


    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a lot of "number 1" songs in my library but narrowed it down to the following.

    Pop Will Eat Itself - Def Con One
    The Tremeloes - Call Me Number One
    The Beatles - For No One
    The White Stripes - It's True That We Love One Another
    The Boomtown Rats - Looking After Number One
    Haircut 100 - Love Plus One
    Stephen Stills - Love The One Your With
    La Bionda - One For You, One For Me (Don't think the video would have been shown on TOTP with the Lady in the green top :-)
    Yellow Dog - One More Night
    Esperanza - One Man Down
    Furniture - One Step Behind You
    Johnny Cash - One Piece At A Time
    The Mood - Paris is One Day Away
    Morrissey - You're The One for me Fatty

    ReplyDelete
  18. Swiss Adam covered some of my picks (I'm particularly pleased to see Folk Implosion's 'Natural One' get a nod), Alyson & Jim Dubai moped up a few more. I think I've removed all the duplications - here's what's left from my hard-drives. Sorry there are so many - for gawd's sake don't post them all! What a great series this has been Rol - I bet you're glad that you vetoed lyric quotes a while back! Zeroes next week to wrap up then?

    Bob Dylan - One Too Many Mornings
    Bob Dylan - One More Cup of Coffee
    Bob Dylan - One Of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)
    Paul McCartney - This One
    Rolling Stones - One Hit to the Body
    Bruce Springsteen - She's the One (a strong contender I would guess)
    Bruce Springsteen - One Step Up
    PIL - One Drop
    Rob - Just One More Time
    Madness - One Better Day
    Madness - One Second's Thoughtlessness
    Tony Allen - When One Road Close
    The Clash - One More Dub
    The Clash - One Emotion
    The Wave Pictures - One More For the Road, Marianne
    Deerhoof - No One Asked to Dance
    Hawklords - The Only Ones
    Gregory Isaacs - One More Time
    Bonnie "Prince" Billy - One With The Birds
    King Creosote - Not One Bit Ashamed
    King Creosote - No-One Had it Better
    Mark Lanegan - One Way Street
    Louvin Brothers - The First One to Love You
    Mulatu Astatke & his Ethiopian Quintet - One For Buzayhew
    Clarendonians - Walking Up a One Way Street
    The Most Serene Republic - No-One Likes a Nihilist
    The Most Serene Republic - All of One is the Other
    Wilco - One Wing
    Warren Zevon - Quite Ugly One Morning
    The Triffids - One Mechanic Town
    Monty Python - Here Comes Another One
    Badfinger - I'll Be the One
    Okkervil River - Plus Ones
    Sufjan Stevens - One Last Whoo-Hoo For the Pullman
    Sonna - One Most Memorable
    Ken Stringfellow - One Morning
    Magnolia Electric Co. - Take One Thing Along
    Seventeen Evergreen - Lunar One
    Kevin Drew - Lucky Ones
    Readymade FC feat. Yael Naïm - The Only One
    Daniel Padden & the One Ensemble - One Thing
    Feist - One Year AD
    Feist - One Evening
    Viva Voce - The Lucky Ones
    My Morning Jacket - O Is the One That's Real
    My Morning Jacket - One In the Same
    My Morning Jacket - Just One Thing
    My Morning Jacket - One big holiday
    Hood - End of One Train Working
    Caribou - She's the One
    Lavender Diamond - Here Comes One (I bloody love this)
    Smiley Lewis - One Night of Sin
    Diane Cluck - One Rope
    Roy Orbison - The Only One
    Linval Thompson - One More Chance
    Clint Eastwood & General Saint - Another One Bites the Dust
    J.Geils Band - Cry One More Time
    Van Morrison - One Irish Rover
    Josephine Foster & the Suposed - The Most Loved One
    Sunset Rubdown - Us Ones In Between
    Spider - The Bitter One
    Rifles - One Night Stand
    8 Bold Souls - Third One Smiles
    Maybe Smith - Waltz For One
    The Burnside Project - One to One
    Colleen - One Night and It's Gone
    Ljudbilden & Piloten - Dictionary of One Letter Words
    Band of Horses - No One
    Stars - One More Night
    Elecrelane - Only One Thing Is Needed
    White Magic - One Note
    Game Theory - One More For Saint Michael
    Modest Mouse - One Chance
    Glenn Jones - One Jack Rose
    Marshall Owens - Try Me One More Time
    Elliot Smith - Waltz #1
    Robyn Hitchcock - One Long Pair of Eyes
    Robyn Hitchcock - Flesh Number One (Beatle Dennis) (I bloody love this too)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cluster & Eno - One
    Robyn Hitchcock - Lady Waters and the Hooded One
    Robyn Hitchcock - One L
    Khruangbin - One to Remember
    Garcia Peoples - One to Remember
    Sparks - One For the Ages
    Lonker See - One Eye Sees Red
    Stanley Turrentine - One O'Clock Jump
    Howard Hello - The One
    Johnny Barnett - Which One is to Blame
    Bonnie Owens - Number One Heel
    Brian Eno & John Cale - One Word
    The Six Parts Seven - One Thing That Won't Matter
    Gene Clark - The True One
    Geneva - No One Speaks
    Bob Dylan - One More Night
    Bob Dylan - As I Went Out One Morning
    Bob Dylan - Honey Just Allow Me One More Chance
    Jimmie Skinner - One Dead Man Ago
    Rachel Newton - One Hour More
    Wilco - One and a Half Stars
    Erkin Koray - Sevdigim (My Loved One)
    Refugee - One Left Handed Peter Pan
    I-Mo-Jah - One Song Jah Music
    Laura Cannell & Polly Wright - One For the Rook One For the Crow
    Richard Dawson - No One
    The Dynamites - One Way Street
    Prince Far-I - Love One Another
    Tom Waits - Take One Last Look (another wonderful song)
    Robert Forster - One Bird in the Sky
    Grant McLennan - One Plus One
    Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet - One Green Eye
    Oysterband - One Green Hill
    John Coltrane - One Up, One Down
    Fairport Convention - One Sure Thing
    Big Blood - Handsome Son of No One
    Big Blood - A Hole in One
    Stereolab - One Small Step
    Chris Bowden - Telescopic One
    Soft Machine - One Glove
    Ramones - She's the One
    Richard Thompson - Precious One
    Richard Thompson - One Door Opens
    Cannonball Adderley - One Man's Dream
    Mark Lanegan & Duke Garwood - One Way Glass
    Matthew Halsall & the Gonwanda Orchestra - When the World Was One
    The Saints - One Way Street
    Stockholm Monsters - The Last One Back
    Kamasi Washington - One of One
    Nick Drake - One of These Things First
    Fire Engines - The Untitled One
    Tim Burgess - Just One Kiss
    Liz Phair - One Less Thing
    Arctic Monkeys - One Point Perspective
    Artic Monkeys - One for the road
    Shirley Collins - One Night as I Lay in My Bed
    Savoy Motel - Hot One
    Roy Orbison - Cry softly Lonely One
    George Phillip - One One
    The Outer Limits - Just One More Chance
    The Gun Club - Country One
    Bomb the Bass - One to One Religion
    Stray - One Night in Texas
    Songs: Ohia - The One Red Star
    Songs: Ohia - One of Those Uncertain Hands
    Songs: Ohia - Keep Only One of Us Free
    The Real Tuesday Weld - One More Chance
    The Real Tuesday Weld - Waltz For One
    Outer Limits - Waltz For One
    Graham Gouldman - How could you Say One Thing
    The Chiffons - One Fine Day (yet another contender!)
    Max Romeo - One Step Forward
    T.Rex - One Inch Rock
    Olden Yolk - Takes One to Know One
    Psychedelic furs - One More Word
    The Fall - Bound Soul One
    Willie Tee - One Way Street
    Dexys Midnight Runners - One Way Love
    Green on Red - I Owe You One
    The Low Anthem - To Get Over Only One Side
    Pastor TL Barrett & the Youth For Christ Choir - No Not One
    Jackie Mittoo - Channel One Crash
    Quintessence - Dance For the One
    Human League - Austerity/Girl One
    Gram Parsons - Cry One More Time
    Delroy Wilson - i'm the One Who Loves You
    The Afrotones - All For One
    Joe Gibbs - Be the One Version
    Anomoanon - One That Got Away
    The Band - The Moon Struck One
    Sandy Denny - One More Chance
    Sandy Denny - One Way Donkey ride
    Brian Eno - No One Receiving
    The Orchids - One Last Cigarette
    Micah P Hinson - Micah Book One
    Linda Perhacs - One Full Circle Around the Sun
    King Tubby - Channel One Under Heavy Manners
    4 Be 2 - One of the Lads
    Lal & Mike Waterson - One of Those Days
    Gnoomes - One Step
    Dept of Eagles - No One Does it Like You
    Holly Macve - No One Has the Answers
    Bert Jansch - No One Around
    Johnny Guitar Watson - One Kiss
    Gay Meadows & The Yobyalps - Only One
    Herbie Hancock - One Finger Snap
    Billy Boyo - One Spliff a Day
    Linval Thompson - One More Chance
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - One Word
    Jethro Tull - One For John Gee
    The Distractions - One Way Love
    Martha Reeves & the Vandellas - Wild One
    T.Rex - Carsmile Smith & the Old One
    Big Youth - upful One
    Ernest Tubb - I'm the One Who Loves You
    The Four Tops - Without the One You Love

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can - One More Night
    Can - Half Past One
    Marvin Gaye - You're a wonderful One
    Community Radio - One Book a Treasure
    Parquet Courts - One Man No City
    Mavis Staple - One Love
    The Fall - First One Today
    Josephine Foster - My Dove, My Beautiful One
    William Hogdin - Don't Get One Woman on Your Mind
    Jellyfish - The Ghost at Number One
    Suzi Quatro - Wild One
    Kraan & Guru Guru - One Way
    Lloyd Brevett & his Group - One More Time
    Idjut Boys - One For Kenny
    Bonnie Prince Billy - Jolly One
    Alasdair Roberts - Artless One
    Bill Fay - A Frail and Broken One
    Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Ur Life One night
    PIL - The One
    Herbie Hancock - Little One
    Steve Hillage - Wait One Moment
    Slade - Two Track Stereo One Track Mind
    Slade - One Eyes Jacks With Moustaches
    Slade - One Way Hotel
    Bruce Springsteen - From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)










    ReplyDelete
  21. Douglas McLaren13 July 2020 at 16:51

    I hate to assault you further with more suggestions, which seem almost pointless given the lists above! But I can't help suggesting just three:

    Jim James--Dear One
    The Trashcan Sinatras--I'm the One Who Fainted
    Anything Box--Just One Day

    And of course, as my Canadian offering:

    The Tragically Hip--The Darkest One

    Hope that isn't the straw that breaks the blogger's back!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...