Monday 19 October 2020

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #54: Lost Loves

 


Among the first singles I ever bought must have been this one by Prince and Sheena Easton. The 7" vinyl is long since gone from my collection, but it popped into my head the other night and I had a distinct memory of the sleeve, of slipping out the disc and placing it onto my old music centre turntable, queueing it up to start and then hitting play & record on the tape deck to add this to a mix tape.

Of course, I'm embellishing the memory. I did all those things, but do I actually remember? 

I don't remember when I first heard this song, but I know I heard it enough and liked it enough to buy it with my 15 year old's pocket money.

I don't remember buying it, but it was probably in Woolworths or WH Smiths or maybe Our Price, if that was around back then.

I can tell you that I probably played it that month more than I've listened to any one song this year... but I don't actually remember doing that.

I wish I could go back, just for an hour, and sit on my old bedroom floor, feeling safe, knowing my parents were downstairs and I had all the time in the world and I could just drop the needle and listen to the crackle before the first drumbeats kick in...

Here we are folks
The dream we all dream of...



3 comments:

  1. "I wish, I wish, I wish in vain
    That we could sit simply in that room again
    Ten thousand dollars at the drop of a hat
    I'd give it all gladly if our lives could be like that."

    (Bob Dylan - "Bob Dylan’s Dream")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written, wonderfully poignant. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed. Big sigh from my corner too. Sam will have those memories now and you are the parents. The conveyor belt of life.

    As for Sheena Easton, the girl did well and I for one was mighty surprised when she popped up with Prince. She definitely had 'the look' too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...