Tuesday 20 October 2020

Name That Tune: Our Top Ten Caroline Songs

 


This is Caroline Trettine. The only Caroline I own more than one song by. Largely thanks to Martin.

Caroline Trettine - Sleep With Me

Although there appear to be hundreds of songs featuring Carolines, there are very few song-makers with that name.

Only two other singing Carolines in my hard-drive...

Caroline & The Treats - Me And My Vibrator

Caroline Carter - The Ballad of Possibilities (Come Along)

And while I'm usually inundated with artist suggestions, the only other one this week came from Walter...

Carolyne Mas - Thomas Dunson's Revenge

Which led me to investigate the alternate spelling and discover...

Carolyn Franklin - All I Want Is To Be Your Woman

As well as this absolute gem of a suicide anthem...

Carolyn Sullivan - Dead

But a dearth of famous Carolines is good, because it means we can get straight onto the songs...


Let's start with your suggestions that didn't make the Top Ten...

The late, great Daniel Johnston - I Did Acid with Caroline (Lynchie)

Fleetwood Mac - Caroline (Martin)

Jefferson Starship - Caroline (Walter)

Lou Reed - Caroline Says I / Caroline Says II (Martin & George)

Old Crow Medicine Show - Caroline (Lynchie)

Cheap Trick - Oh Caroline (Martin)

Colin Blunstone (Formerly of the Zombies and then went solo) - Caroline Goodbye (Lynchie)

Jimmy Buffett - Woman Goin' Crazy on Caroline Street (Martin)

Talk Talk - Does Caroline Know? (Walter)

Now, I have to admit I get a bit rankled by Talk Talk, so when my millennial hipster politico friend, Ben, also suggested this one, I might have snapped.

You're not part of that whole "Spirit of Eden is the greatest album in the history of recorded music" conspiracy, are you? (Both Guy Garvey and Huey Morgan are among the disciples of this particular cult.)

My millennial hipster politico friend, Ben, replied:

It's a key album in the development of post-rock music. The blueprints are there but I don't think they knew what to do with it properly.

This turned into a whole argument with me railing against the very concept of "post rock" and Ben quoting Mogwai and post-metal and Math rock and me saying I'd rather listen to Twisted Sister. It got ugly. But there are worse ways to spend a Friday afternoon. 

Ben also suggested...

Jawbreaker - Caroline

Which is fine, but no postmen were hurt in the recording of that.

Also from Ben, a couple of great lyrical offerings... 

Pulp - Inside Susan

She's still thinking about this when the bus goes passed caroline lee's house where there was a party last week. There were some german exchange students there who were very mature; they all ended up jumping out of the bedroom window. One of them tried to get her to kiss him on the stairs, so she kicked him. Later she was sick because she drunk too much cider. Caroline was drunk as well; she was pretending she was married to a tall boy in glasses, and she had to wear a polo-neck for three days afterwards to cover up the love-bite on her neck.

That was a very strong contender, partly because it scratches my "short stories in songs" itch and partly because it was the first Pulp song I ever fell in love with. But I guess I had to save it for Our Top Ten Susan Songs.

Stars - Personal

My name is Caroline
Cell phone number here, call if you have the time
Twenty-eight and bored, grieving over loss
Sorry to be heavy, but heavy is the cost
Heavy is the cost

Which, if I ever get round to completing it, will be a strong contender for Number One in My Top Ten Lonely Hearts Column Songs. Although it will obviously be up again Rupert Holmes.

Also on the lyrical side of things, strong calls from Walter...

Robyn Hitchcock - I Am Not Me

I say, "Caroline,
No need to spell it backwards
That's 'eniloraC'

The Undertones - Girls That Don't Talk

Caroline's dancing
Catina's at home
You get up every morning
Taking lessons on the phone

And Charity Chic...

Townes Van Zandt - Tecumseh Valley

The name she gave was Caroline
Daughter of a miner
Her ways were free
It seemed to me
That sunshine walked beside her

Time to venture into the darkest recesses of my hard-drive... for some very strong runners-up...

Low - Caroline 

Harry Nilsson - Caroline

Frank Turner - Least Of All, Young Caroline

Jake Thackray - Caroline Diggeby-Pratte

Mark Kozelek & Jimmy Lavelle - Caroline

Aimee Mann - Goodbye Caroline

Martin Stephenson and the Daintees - Caroline

Rhett Miller - Caroline

Barry Manilow - Caroline

Steppenwolf - Caroline (Are You Ready for the Outlaw World)

Tom Williams & The Boat - Caroline

Harry Chapin - Caroline

The Candy Darlings - That's Where Caroline Lives

The Posies - So Caroline

Tom Ovans - Caroline

Concrete Blonde - Caroline

As for that pesky alternative spelling / pronunciation...

Steve Wynn - Carolyn 

Ronnie Bond (drummer of The Troggs) - Carolyn

Cocteau Twins - Carolyn's Fingers

The Wedding Present - Carolyn

Finally, there was some discussion about the possibility of including Carolinas in this list, but I had to veto that on the grounds of Shaggy. Sorry.


Onto this week's winning ten...


10. Kate Nash - Caroline's A Victim

Because Kate Nash always makes me smile. And I need as many smiles as I can get these days.

See also...

Kid Creole & The Coconuts - Caroline's A Drop-Out

9. Colter Wall - Caroline

Over to our Canadian correspondent, Douglas...

I am enthused to be able to introduce you to another strong Canadian contender here!

If your willing to stretch out a little into the Country realm (as I believe by your other selections you are on occasion) my collection yields up the somewhat shocking voice of Colter Wall, from Saskatchewan (that's prairie town, Canada style if you are not up on your Canadian geography, the heart of Canadian Country music). A little test? See if you too, like the Proclaimers, "can say "Saskatchewan" without starting to stutter..." Anyway, give a listen to his song "Caroline" from 2015, and see if you can believe that the lad had barely turned 20 at the time of recording that song.

No, he certainly doesn't sound 20. I have heard Ricky Ross playing Colter on his Radio Scotland Country show, but I hadn't heard this one. It's utterly bewitching though. Thanks, Douglas.

8. Status Quo - Caroline

Because Jez would never forgive me if this wasn't in here somewhere.

7. Outkast - Roses

Can't argue with this suggestion from John Medd. How many other songs can you think of where the roses smell like poo poo?

Caroline (Caroline) Caroline
All the guys would say she's mighty fine (mighty fine)
But mighty fine only got you somewhere half the time
And the other half either got you cussed out, or coming up short

6. The Beach Boys - Caroline, No 

"Caroline, No" by The Beach Boys has to be a contender! says Lynchie.

And let's not forget the answer song, thanks to Rigid Digit...

Kaiser Chiefs - Caroline, Yes

5. The Go-Betweens - Caroline And I

Surprised nobody picked this one.

Born in the very same year
Alive at a similar time
It gave me something small that I could feel
That maybe as you grew, you knew how I'd feel
And Caroline and I knew how you'd feel
Rattled through our teenage years
Battled and loved who we fought
The first time you left home on your own I knew
A little bit of you is gone when you do
And Caroline and I well we grew, well that's true
Caroline and I

4. Psychedelic Furs - Pretty In Pink

Clearly the best lyrical suggestion of the week, via Rigid Digit...

Caroline laughs, and it's raining all day
She loves to be one of the girls
She lives in the place in the side of our lives
Where nothing is ever put straight

3. Matching Mole - O' Caroline

A sweet '70s song this time, says C, with Robert Wyatt on vocals.

An utterly enchanting song, adds John Medd.

Alyson continues...

You've beaten me to it C, as that was the song I would have suggested. I think I discovered it from one of the other blogs a couple of years ago and was blown away it - there is a great YouTube clip with loads of '60s/'70s scenes in black and white which brings always brings on an overwhelming sense of nostalgia when I watch it: just matches the sound of the song so well.

The Swede concludes...

Spot on C, an absolute beauty. Another Robert Wyatt tune at least partially inspired by Caroline Coon (as well as Carla Bley and Marsha Hunt) is 'To Carla, Marsha and Caroline (For Making Everything Beautifuller)' from his 1970 LP 'The End of an Ear'. Not sure if Rol will allow that though.

That may bend the Song For Whoever rule, Swede, but it is quite lovely. Matching Mole for the win though... if only there weren't such stiff competition this week.

2. Kirsty MacColl - Caroline

Martin and Rigid Digit both picked this for Number One. I respect that. But sometimes there's just no competition.

Now I lie here with you, can't get her out my head
Do you think she knows that you share my bed
Well, I don't want to see Caroline
Don't want to see her face when she finds out you're mine
How could a friend be so unkind
Well, I don't want to see Caroline

1. Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline

There are those of you who may not like Sweet Caroline, and I don't often say this, because everyone is entitled to their opinion and it's all subjective and opinions are like arseholes... but you're wrong.

Sweet Caroline has a wistful nostalgia about it. It starts small but grows and then explodes. This is where Nirvana got the whole quiet quiet LOUD thing from. And best of all, it has the "Der der ders!" which even Bublé can't beat. I'm really sad if you don't like it because when I'm down, Sweet Caroline can pick me up like virtually no other song.

Good times never seemed so good...

My millennial hipster politico friend, Ben, says...

"Also, if you do Sweet Caroline, make it the Hoff version or Me First & The Gimme Gimmes."

...which just goes to show you, there really is little hope for the youth of today.

David Hasslehoff - Sweet Caroline

Me First & The Gimme Gimmes - Sweet Caroline

I actually quite like the Hoff's vocal performance here, but the backing track is awful.

And the Me First... cover sounds like every other Me First... cover. Amusing the first time you hear it. After that...

Still, if it's covers you want, try these...

Bobby Womack - Sweet Caroline

More faithful than you'd imagine.

Roy Orbison - Sweet Caroline

Manages to make it his own.

Elvis Presley - Sweet Caroline

Just in case you're wondering how to dance in the der-der-ders.

Frank Sinatra - Sweet Caroline

Probably my favourite cover.

Still. There is no competition here.


Of course, you may prefer the Covid-19 version... if you're clinically insane, that is.

Hands
Washing hands
Reaching out
Don't touch me
I won't touch you



My god, 2020... how much worse can you get? 

NEXT TIME - OUR TOP TEN DAVID SONGS 

(DAVES and DAVYS WILL BE CONSIDERED) 

 

17 comments:

  1. First thought
    Manfred Manns Earth Band - Davy's on the Road Again
    I may be back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not after that dreadful suggestion

      Delete
  2. What a lovely start to the day to see a blog post begin with Caroline Trettine!

    And although I picked Kirsty for my #1 Caroline, you're right, there's really no arguing with the Diamond.

    Now, on to Davids... though I may only pitch one: David Watts, either the Kinks original or the Jam cover. Altogether now:

    I am a dull and simple lad
    Cannot tell water from champagne
    And I have never met the Queen
    And I wish I could have all he has got
    Wish I could be like David Watts


    Go on then, one more: Bree Sharp - David Duchovny, which has an all-star cast video that can't fail to put a smile on the face of anyone who watched The X Files back in the day - really, watch right through to the end, beyond the song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a Colter Wall album last year - and it's fab! AND I knew Dave Flett of "Davy's On The Road Again" fame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheech & Chong - "Dave's Not Here" (It's not a song but it's on an album)

    Tom Petty - "Lonesome Dave"

    John Hiatt - "Trudy And Dave"

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you ever do "Ethel" songs, can I suggested John Hiatt's "Ethylene"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ain't Necessarily So, Bronski Beat version, talks about little David being small but o my

    ReplyDelete
  7. A worthy winner for Caroline.
    As for David - I remember you liked the Scars' track I put on over at my place recently, so wonder if you'll like another song from the same album - perfectly titled... as you might imagine... 'David'!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boomtown Rats Dave

    (more later, hopefully)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Morrissey - Dagenham Dave
    Carter USM - World Without Dave
    Joan Baez - David's Song

    and this one might be pushing it (as it's a surname)
    Stereophonics - Billy Davy's Daughter

    anyone mentioned Craig Daaaavid yet?
    Craig David's Covid Song:
    I stayed at home on Monday
    I stayed at home on Tuesday
    On Wednesday I stayed in
    Same for Thursday, Friday and Saturday
    On Sunday I stayed in

    ReplyDelete
  10. Remember David - A Flock of Seagulls

    ReplyDelete
  11. David Watts, has to be. The Jam version as it was the first one I heard.

    Davey Crockett by Thee Headcoatees is a rollicking good tune and Black Jack Davey by the White Stripes is good if you like old English folk songs updated by 21st century blues revivalists.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...and may I just mention that Colter Wall has a fantastic track called "Me And Big Dave", wherein he absolutely sounds nothing whatsoever like a person in his 20's but everything like the embodime t of what is deep, soulful and great about country music in the Cash-like vein? Can the young Canadian rank two weeks in a row, perhaps clawing his way deeper in the Top Ten?

    And if that is not your think, the Trash Can Sinatras once again have a contender, with the raucous and ebullient b-side (gawsh, they save some of the best for the flip sides, don't they?) entitled "Ask Davy". According to legend, when the as-yet-untitled track was being readied for release, the record exec types came to hassle the band abound the small matter of a title for the song before going to press. The band, sorely pressed, tried to brush off the corporate pedants by steering them for suggestions to the usually forthcoming bassist, Davy Hughes....and that is how the track came to qualify for this week's Top Ten...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad nobody named David Hasselhoff in the comments. The first name that came to my Memory was Dave Clark Five with Glad all over a song from my very young days.

    Other songs that should be named are
    Serge Gainsbourg - Harley David Son Of A Bitch (also covered by Bollock Brothers)
    A nice Pop song from the 80's: A Flock of Seagulls - Remember David
    John Hiatt - Trudy and Dave

    Beastie Boys - A Year and a Day
    'EZ Mike with the Disco Dave
    He was going by the Name of Disco Dave

    New Order - Murder
    'I wouldn't do that Dave
    I'm afraid, Dave
    My nind is going
    There is no Question about it

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...