Friday 23 October 2020

No Shame Fridays #1

 

I'm not saying this is going become a regular feature. We'll see how it goes down. I suspect it will go down really, really badly... in which case, I might well make it into a regular feature.

I had no idea who Rex Smith was until Tuesday night when I was watching a Robert Palmer video on youtube and found Rex in my side bar. I've no idea why that would be, as Rex is about as far from Robert Palmer as Ozzy Osborne is, but I suspect it's more to do with my youtube browsing history that the site now randomly picks some truly awful things to throw my way.

Except, this isn't awful.

Those of you who like the original will hate it. (But then, I like the original...)

Those of you who are too cool for school will hate it. (But then, remember the original mantra of this blog: irk the musos!)

Those of you with a soft spot for Rachel Sweet may well secretly like it, but just pretend to hate it because that's the cool thing to do.

Those of you with no shame at all though...?

Apparently, Rex Smith was a teen heart throb in the states. Apparently he played Jesse Mach in Streethawk, which I vaguely remember watching... but it was no Airwolf or Manimal. Apparently he was also the first actor to play the Marvel superhero Daredevil in The Trial of the Incredible Hulk. Which, despite being a huge Marvel fan, and the fact that I owe a lot of that to Bill Bixby, I have never seen. 

Apparently this was a Top 40 hit in the UK in 1981... but I'll be damned if I remember it.

Anyway, put your cool on hold and enjoy the cheese. Because they don't make pop videos or pop songs like this anymore... but they really ought to do!

Also, if you ever wondered where Survivor got the riff from Eye of the Tiger from...



9 comments:

  1. Great to hear Steve Ellis again. The man should've been a star. The Rex Smith cover is good but the video's pretty naff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for helping me get away with posting John Cougar today Rol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it. I love it. My head is spinning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Left hand side of your brain is Muso. Right hand side is cheese. When they go to war...

      Delete
  4. It’s so bad it’s good. Strange Michael Boltonesque chap - The worst of the 1980s in a nutshell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooooo! You just ruined it for me by mentioning Bolton!

      (Not really. If MB had ever recorded something as fun as this, I would have forgiven him everything else.)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...