Monday 5 July 2021

Positive Books For Negative Times: Girl To City


In a effort to start getting this blog back on track, I thought I'd mention that I finally finished Amy Rigby's excellent autobiography, Girl To City, a few weeks back. I haven't had the necessary time or mental energy for reading over the past few months, so this took me ages to get through, but I had a good session with it while on holiday and finished it at last.

It was also the case that I was enjoying Amy's writing so much that I didn't want the book to end. Telling her story from being a young girl discovering records, through her New York student years, to becoming a parent and finally getting a solo record deal, the book is unflinchingly honest, self-deprecating and very funny. There's a string of doomed relationships, bands that sparkle briefly then fizzle out quickly, and a sense that the only reason it took Amy so long to achieve her dream was a lack of confidence in her own abilities... something I could relate to a lot.

She also paints a vivid picture of New York in the late 70s and early 80s, a time when the city when seemed on the verge of falling apart and sinking into the mire. It's a time and place I find endlessly fascinating, and this book really places you there, among the dilapidated squats and grubby underground nightclubs that seem a world away from how we picture the Big Apple today.

You do find out about the true story of the plaster cow too...

Pushed plaster cows down city streets
Wore thrift store skirts with little pleats
Smoked pot and sat around all day
Bought a guitar but didn't try to play
Summertime in '83
I didn't need a j-o-b
Cause unemployment kept me free
To study country harmony
And find somebody with a car
Drink cheap beer in the Polish bar
Take photos in the photo booth
The summer of my wasted youth

6 comments:

  1. Is there much about Will Rigby and the dB’s in the book? Ex-husbands might be a tricky subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He comes out of it surprisingly well compared to most of her exes.

      Delete
  2. I've visited Amy's blog after seeing it on the sidebars so think I would like this book too. Same era for memories as myself but set in a very different locale.

    I also read Dandelion Wine by the way after you recommended it - Totally get what you mean about not wanting a book to end. It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book's received great reviews on Goodreads, the place I go to check out new books, so I've added it to my reading list. Thanks Rol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Alyson, I've been checking into (and enjoying) Amy's blog from time to time, thanks to first seeing it on your sidebar. This book is now definitely one for the "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...