Monday 25 April 2022

2022 Contenders: Extreme Witchcraft


The fourteenth Eels album (16th if you count the two solo E albums that preceded the "band's" debut disc) was the first CD I bought this year. I always buy E's records, because even though they sometimes take a little bit of getting into, they never disappoint in the end. After living with this one on rotation for a couple of months, I'm hard-pressed to single out a favourite track. Could it be What It Isn't, E's jaunty riposte for anyone who overuses the term "It is what it is"?  Could it be lead "single" The Magic, in which E seems to be shouting out to anyone who doesn't like his band, perhaps with a plea to give them another try?

I get it, don't sweat it, I'm not your cup of tea
Believe it or not, not everyone loves me
But try me, you'll find me, a personality
That you can't get enough of once you can feel
The magic

At the moment, I'm caught between the two big Prince-influenced tunes (E has never been shy about declaring his love for Prince), Strawberries And Popcorn (which I imagine goes very well with Starfish & Coffee) and the ultra-funky Grandfather Clock, with its perfectly purple guitar licks, just before the chorus kicks in...



4 comments:

  1. Great track. Will check out the album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nowt wrong with a tipping of the hat to Prince. Splendid tune.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the list - those 3 tracks definitely make me want to get it soon.
    Hey, its The Eels - what's not to like
    (Just checked - it came out in January. How did I miss it)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm - I think I've said 'It is what it is' quite a few times over at my place. Will have to curb that if it's going to annoy people!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...