Tuesday 26 April 2022

Neverending Top Ten #4.8: What I Was Really Looking For In My New Car

Put aside the low mileage and high reliability, because what I really wanted from my new car - and the thing that swayed me away from buying anything newer than a 17 plate - was a CD player. 

Yes, call me old-fashioned... but there's more to it than that. My own music, which I listen to on the long commute, is all on memory stick. But what about Sam's music? 

For the last six years, I've been switching to CD whenever he's in the car, and listening to one of the carefully compiled compilations I've created to ensure he reaches adulthood (or at least becomes a teenager) with the widest taste and knowledge in (old man) music possible. 

We're currently up to Sam CD 123... and yes, that does mean I've made him one hundred and twenty-three 80 minute compilations to date, with no sign of stopping. And he's grown to know and love a huge swathe of my record collection in that time... so I really didn't want to consign those CDs to the attic... or have to transfer them all to a second memory stick.

Maybe the CD revival really will kick in, and by the time I have to buy my next car, they'll be retro-fitting them into newer models... or maybe I'll just have to keep this current car forever. 

(I'd settle for a cassette player as a viable alternative.)

Also, you can't make a decent compilation on a memory stick. Here's one of his favourite tracks from Sam 123...



4 comments:

  1. I can see your reluctance to go for any model without a CD player.

    Great pick from Sam 123. Your boy is going to be well versed in music from the previous millennium unlike most of his peer group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rol, you can pick up a USB car CD player for about £25 on Amazon, as long as your car has a power aux socket you can plug and play, not perfect but a good alternative if you are stuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my back up plan if I absolutely had to buy a car without one, Jim. Fortunately, I dodged that bullet.

      Delete
  3. This is why I read your blog; a father and a son. Nothing else matters.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...