Thursday 11 July 2024

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #112: A Worrying Week


My mum broke her hip on Monday, so I've been driving back and forth to the hospital to see her all week. She's 96, so obviously any kind of operation is a big worry (especially when the consultant started outlining all the risks - "you're cheering me up," she replied), but she seems to have come through OK. Tuesday night was a little scary as she was still under the influence of all post-op drugs, and kept trying to remove the tubes while they were trying to give her a blood transfusion. She certainly told the nurses on the ward what she thought of them... 

Now though, her biggest issue is competing with the woman in the bed opposite. "They had her walking today - why aren't I walking? I don't want her to get ahead of me." 

But Mum, she had her operation before you!

"I don't care, if she can start walking, I can."

The nurses told us that recovery from a hip operation has nothing to do with age. Some people in their 60s take ages to get going again - whereas people in their 90s are often congaing down the ward after a few days. I've a feeling my mum will be at the head of the conga.

Here's another track from Sam Baker's 2013 album, Say Grace. It's out of print, but I managed to snag a cheapish copy of eBay. It's really quite lovely.



8 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear of your poor mum's broken hip and subsequent operation. Hope she will be congaing soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alyson. And for the subtle spellcheck too.

      Delete
  2. Best wishes to your Mum for a quick recovery. If she is as spirited as she sounds she'll be leaping round like a young gazelle in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt very strongly about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More power to your mum, Rol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really sorry to hear this, sending best wishes to your mum and fingers crossed she'll be back walking soon - she sounds like a trooper. Good luck to you too with all the hospital visits.
    You do realise now that you've got me wondering too if she's a Tattooed Woman...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mum seems to have a good PMA Rol.
    I'm sure she will be up and about in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you and your family today. - Brian

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...