Tuesday 9 July 2024

Namesakes #93: The Libertines


Considering that a Libertine is defined as "a person, especially a man, who freely indulges in sensual pleasures without regard to moral principles", it's surprising that I could only find three bands who have chosen that as their name. Still, only three to choose from means George should have more time to feed the chickens this week...


THE LIBERTINES #1



Cincinnati indie band who released their debut single back in 1984. Bassist Randy Cheek left in 1989 to join the Ass Ponies. The band petered out after that but got back together in the early noughties, by which time they were calling themselves The US Libertines or "The Non-Crack Libertines".


THE LIBERTINES #2

Brummie band who released one single in 1986, not a bad one either. Their drummer went on to join The Wonder Stuff.


THE LIBERTINES #3


You can hear the A&R man making his pitch back in the late 90s: "Imagine Oasis - but from London!" Or, as Pete Doherty once put it: "Oasis is the sound of a council estate singing its heart out, and the Libertines is the sound of someone just put in the rubbish chute at the back of the estate, trying to work out what day it was". As a result, it was difficult for me to drum up much enthusiasm for Doherty, BarĂ¢t et al. I may have done them a disservice, but it was also hard to see beyond all the drug abuse and infighting that appeared to get in the way of the music. Maybe they've mellowed with age - I hope so. Still, credit where it's due: Oasis never wrote anything as self-aware as this...


Which Libertines make you want to freely indulge in sensual pleasures without regard to moral principle... and which Libertines belong in the rubbish chute?


10 comments:

  1. Did you see Louis Theroux's programme on Pete Doherty? Definitely worth a watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will approach these three with my usual attitude of not pre-judging, and with an open mind

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pre-disposed to despising #3. A student tried to convince me that this was a band I should listen to. He was a nice boy, but totally wrong. So, #1 is a great reminder of how good indie-pop was in the mid 80s. This track could would not be out of place on C86 (if dated from 1986, that is). As for #2, I've got this! Another splendid indie song.#3 did not let me down, it's a terrible song, I just can't stand it. But I'll listen to it all the way through. Dear lord, it's run into another of their ghastly songs, something about the Likely Lads. So #2 for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit to have been biased against many a band based solely on student recommendation.

      Delete
  4. I fed Walter during #3. He's a pigeon. We don't have chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liking #1 too, reminds me a little of the Long Ryders.
    I didn't like #3 at the time at all but rather strangely have warmed to it more since - and agree with Martin about the Louis Theroux doc, it was very engaging; he's an odd one that Pete Doherty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus I like the look of the book in your pic!

      Delete
  6. It's #1 for me too.

    I'm glad #3 proved useful in that Walter Pigeon got fed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...