Friday 1 February 2013

My Top Ten Songs With Reasons


I have ten good reasons why you should listen to this blog post...


10. Franz Ferdinand - You're the Reason I'm Leaving

Was it something I said? (Was it 'cos I told you the band's name is pronounced R-E-M, not "Rem", you bunch of idiot-twits?)

9. The Unbelievable Truth - Higher Than Reason

OK, I'm stretching the criteria to include this one, but it's a lost classic from a songwriter who deserves to be remembered as more than just Thom Yorke's younger brother.

8. Loretta Lynn & Conway Twitty - You're The Reason Our Kids Are Ugly

I was introduced to this via the excellent Indelicates cover, which manages somehow to be even more bitchy. Sadly, it's also too ugly for youtube.

7. Jeff Klein - Five Good Reasons

Jeff's got five good reasons why he never sleeps alone. One of them being: he writes some lovely songs.

6. Half Man Half Biscuit - Reasons to be Miserable (Part 10)

Of course, Nigel Blackwell has hundreds of reasons to be miserable. He's built a career writing songs around them. That's why we love him.

See also Paradise Lost (You're The Reason Why).

5. Roddy Frame - Reason To Live

Wow. Forgotten how good this one was.

4. My Life Story - 12 Reasons Why I Love Her

Ah, Jake Shillingford. Where are you now?


Reason #11 is the one I couldn't get down with. She leaves the pie but always eats her greens? Who the heck leaves pie?

3. Tim Hardin - Reason To Believe

Or, you may have reasons to prefer Rod's version. Nothing wrong with that. I, of course, have a very special place in my heart for Bruce's song of the same name... philosophy from roadkill.

2. Frank Turner - Reasons Not To Be An Idiot

Reasons why I love Frank Turner #84.
So why are you sat at home?
You're not designed to be alone
You just got used to saying "no"
So get up and get down and get outside
Cos it's a lovely sunny day
But you hide yourself away
You've only got yourself to blame
Get up and get down and get outside
1. Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Reasons To Be Cheerful (Part 3)

If you're struggling to find reasons to be cheerful... any of these should suffice:
Something nice to study
Phoning up a buddy
Being in my nuddy
Saying hokey-dokey 

Singalonga Smokey
Coming out of chokey



Be reasonable - don't just tell me your favourite. Tell me your reasons...


6 comments:

  1. Ian Dury - one of the best lyricists there have ever been.

    Not in the title but in the lyrics: Killing Joke - Europe, "the day humanity is over /
    let nations east and west tremble at the sight /'til standard bearers' eyes are hungry /
    and Reason dead forever - god let it be soon."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, I can always rely on you for the obscure Killing Joke references. Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Is there a reason you missed out Earth, Wind and Fire ? :-) Apart from that...best top two ever...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly? I don't think I'd ever heard that EW&F song until now. I never claimed to be all-knowing!

      Delete
  3. every song has a reason Rol, you may not agree with it, but it is there all the same. Did you're mother not learn you nothink?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, but she learned me how to spell "your". ;-p

    There is no reason for any X-Factor song.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...