Tuesday 10 July 2018

Hot 100 #76


Honestly - I've nothing against 76 Trombones as a piece of music (particularly as I used to play in a brass band) but the one rule I can't break for this feature is that the winning track must be in my record collection / digital library... and 76 Trombones wasn't.

Slim pickings for number 76 though... luckily, I had one definite winner in mind which we'll get to in a moment. First... your suggestions...

Martin offered his to start off...

Ween - Freedom of 76

Always got time for a bit of Ween, although I don't recognise that one. Pretty groovy though.

Martin's second suggestion featured one of my old mate Davey's favourite bands...

G. Love and Special Sauce - I-76

(I think I like that one more than Martin did.)

The Swede then went lyric-diving to dig out this classic...

The Who - Success 

Back in the studio to make our latest number one, 
Take two-hundred-and-seventy-six,
You know this used to be fun...

 Loved it.

But my mind would not be swayed from my original choice... and luckily, Rigid Digit agreed...

What if Bruce Springsteen had been Welsh?

(Chances are this won't be the last time The Alarm feature in the Hot 100. No spoilers.)


I have a couple of strong contenders for 75. Your suggestions welcome as always...

7 comments:

  1. Let's get '74-'75 by The Connells out of the way, shall we? For next week too....

    So... Sunny and 75 by Joe Nichols. No, don't YouTube it.

    Or... Aaron Lewis, 75. Better, if you like that kind of thing.

    Or, maybe The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Miss June 75

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Connells will do the job for next week too

      Delete
  2. Another year I'm struggling to come up with anything for I'm afraid, but I guess you could pick something from Neu's '75' LP or anything by the fabulous 75 Dollar Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billy Joel - Scenes From An Italian Restaurant

    Brenda and Eddie were still going steady in the summer of 75

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rol,
    The only tune i have with 75 in the title is a band called Lushy, French 75. Sounds a bit 60's girlyish, great little tune.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was chuffed that I'd found something for this week and next but see it has already been mentioned, twice. Listened to Scenes From.... recently so great that Brenda and Eddie have also been given a mention - I suspect that could be the one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got one, although it refers to a year so technically I'm bending the rules again. It's 'Funky London Childhood' by T.Rex, a song demoed and played live, but never released under this title in Marc Bolan's lifetime. The lyrics contain the couplet '...The gilded cage we call '75, some is fabulous, some is jive...' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NizolR8RQlY
    'Funky London Childhood' was eventually totally re-written and issued as 'Visions of Domino' in 1977 on the final T.Rex LP 'Dandy in the Underworld'.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...