Tuesday 24 July 2018

Hot 100 #74


I think we'll call this week pretty much unanimous, shall we, and just spend the rest of the morning sat out in the garden?

With apologies to The Connells, who were cheated out of a place on the countdown for the second week running, and Mott The Hoople who had a great lyrical offering with Saturday Gigs... although, as Charity Chic pointed out, they can enter this song again for the next five weeks.

C was the first to suggest this week's winner, but she soon found support from Lynchie, Charity Chic, Rigid Digit and Alyson. I don't think any song has ever received so many votes on this feature, and while that wouldn't always sway the judge... I have to admit, Teenage Lament '74 may well be my favourite Alice Cooper song (although I do also have a soft spot for his cheesy 80s output).

Here's something you might not know about Teenage Lament '74. (I didn't, until now.) Who sings backing vocals?

Only Ronnie Spector, Labelle, the Pointer Sisters... and Liza Minnelli. No, I'm not making that up.


I ran into my room
And I fell down on my knees
Well, I thought that fifteen
Was gonna be a breeze
I picked up my guitar
To blast away the clouds
But somebody in the next room yelled
"You gotta turn that damned thing down!"

 


Will '73 be as easy to call? I doubt it. Your suggestions welcome...

2 comments:

  1. '...I was followed home by a seventy-three on De Chirico Street....' by Robyn Hitchcock

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful South - You Keep It All In
    Just like that murder in 73
    Just like that robbery in 62

    That'll do for a second submission in 11 weeks time

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...