Tuesday 17 July 2018

Hot 100 #75




We all know what Dave Grohl did after the sad death of Kurt Cobain and the end of Nirvana. Bassist Krist Novoselic was slightly less successful in maintaining a career in the music industry. His own post-Nirvana band Sweet 75 lasted one album, but it does give us an image to open this week's entry in the Hot 100...


Onto your suggestions for #75, the most popular of which was this...


The Connells - 74/75


A fine tune, but is it a 74 song or a 75 song? What a dilemma. It's definitely a year song. I'm not saying I won't use it next week if I get desperate... but it's not my obvious winner this week.


As well as suggesting this, Martin also offered the following. I'm not sure if any of them are in his record collection, or whether he's just resorting to google. If he does own them all, well...much respect.


Joe Nichols - Sunny & 75 (Martin told me not to youtube it. I did. I think I liked it more than he does. But then, I love cheese. Joe Nichols does seem a bit smug in the video though... but I guess I would too if I was him.)


Aaron Lewis - 75 ("Better", says Martin, "if you like that kind of thing". Aaron Lewis is the lead singer of metal band Staind, but this track is acoustic country if anything. Whisper it, but I think I enjoyed Joe Nichols more.)


Brian Jonestown Massacre - Miss June 75 (Not bad, but I think I'd still rather have Joe Nichols, smug or not.)


Any of those could have been a contender... if they were in my collection. But they're not, so let's move on.


Best lyrical suggestion of the week came from Rigid Digit and Alyson...


Billy Joel - Scenes From An Italian Restaurant


Brenda and Eddie were still going steady in the summer of '75...


...and to be honest, this would have been in serious contention most other weeks. But lyrics will always be trumped by titles, if the title song is good enough. That's not to say this week's winner is better than Scenes From An Italian Restaurant, since clearly few songs are. But the selection process is very complex in this feature. I can't even begin to explain the hierarchy of it all.


Sticking with lyrics, The Swede had another T-Rex suggestion this week (Mr. Bolan is doing very well out of this feature)…


T-Rex - Funky London Childhood


The gilded cage we call '75, some is fabulous, some is jive...


Grammatically suspect, but as we've discussed before, Marc Bolan gets a pass when it comes to his use of the English language.


The Swede also offered anything from Neu's album 75 or anything by 75 Dollar Bill. Break all the rules, but worthy of mention.


Meanwhile, Jim returned from Dubai to offer the following this week, which he describes as "a bit 60's girlyish, great little tune".


Lushy - French 75


I concur.


From my own collection then... apart from the Connells, there were just two other options. Firstly this...


Stereolab - Melochord 75


If I'm honest though, I'm not sure I get Stereolab. They're one of those bands I own music by because people in the know keep telling me I should dig them.


This, on the other hand, I love. One of the bands that rode the coat-tails of the Arctic Monkeys (they were both from Sheffield) but failed to make it out of their shadow. I still have great affection for the music they recorded before they packed it all in though.



So then... do I award week 74 to The Connells? Or do you (or I) have a better suggestion? Answers on the back of a stuck-down envelope, please...

10 comments:

  1. In Seventy-four on the Broadway tour
    We didn't much like dressing up no more

    Mott the Hoople -Saturday Gigs.
    My entry for the next 5 weeks!

    Charity Chic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got to be honest, Rol, none of my suggestions were in my record collection...

    As for 74, I might just have to recycle my Connells suggestion. But then recycling is a good thing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has to be Teenage Lament '74 from Alice Cooper (if you'll allow the year reference?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another year, and another lyric:
    Mott The Hoople - Saturday Gigs

    "In 74, on a Broadway Tour"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...