Friday 19 June 2020

Elvis Fridays #1: Because...


...I don't need a reason. I just need something to make me feel a little better after another long, horrible week "at work".

The worst thing is, you can't even go out looking for another job right now, can you? I mean, who wants to go through the agony of applying for jobs when the world is already upside down? Doing a job interview in Teams? Starting work somewhere new but only actually meeting your colleagues via a computer screen?

And so, we cling to the awful old, upside down jobs we've got... because at least we've got a job right now, and so many don't... or soon won't. Be grateful for what you've got! Ughh.

So yes, I need Elvis Fridays right now. Because it means I can listen to this...

There must be lights burning brighter somewhere
Got to be birds flying higher in a sky more blue
If I can dream of a better land
Where all my brothers walk hand in hand
Tell me why, oh why, oh why can't my dream come true

There must be peace and understanding sometime
Strong winds of promise that will blow away the doubt and fear

If I can dream of a warmer sun
Where hope keeps shining on everyone
Tell me why, oh why, oh why won't that sun appear

We're lost in a cloud
With too much rain
We're trapped in a world
That's troubled with pain

But as long as a man
Has the strength to dream
He can redeem his soul and fly

Deep in my heart there's a trembling question
Still I am sure that the answer gonna come somehow
Out there in the dark, there's a beckoning candle

And while I can think, while I can talk
While I can stand, while I can walk
While I can dream, please let my dream
Come true, right now


...and I can listen to this...

I said, "I'm so happy I could die"
She said, "Drop dead" then left with another guy
That's what you get if you go chasing after vengeance
Ever since you got me punctured this has been my sentence

Oh, I used to be disgusted
And now I try to be amused
Since their wings have got rusted
You know the angels wanna wear my red shoes

But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain
That's when I knew that I could not refuse
And I won't get any older
Now the angels wanna wear my red shoes


More next week. Unless things brighten up around here.



15 comments:

  1. I wondered which Elvis it would be when I saw the title on the sidebar - It's both.

    The Presley song is really special and very apt for the times. It was the song he concluded the '68 Comeback Special with and you can tell he really connects with it.

    Sorry to hear about the (ongoing) job woes but right now, as you say, so many don't (or soon won't) have one at all. Doesn't make it any easier though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea. Anything from the '68 Comeback Special is a great way to kick things off, but this song is especially apt. Going back for a second viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bespectacled one for me.
    Much like The Wonderstuff, I never loved Elvis.
    No doubting his first flushing were unlike anything heard before in sound, image, and delivery.
    The cliche says he was never the same after he left the Army - how true.
    Comeback Special was close to his past days, but Colonel Tom had too many gambling debts for the pelvis to be properly dangerous again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to agree to disagree here, RD. For me, some of his strongest performances came in the 70s. Yes, the vibrancy and electricity of his youth was gone, but vocally, nothing touches Always On My Mind, American Trilogy et al.

      Delete
  4. And just in case anyone doubts Mr Costello has a sense of humour - a reworking of Red Shoes for Sesame Street
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxardpBReQc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, on the other hand, we can agree on. Fantastic!

      And the good thing about this feature is, if you don't like one, the other will always be there for you.

      Delete
  5. Every time I try go reply go Alyson, blogger crashes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hence these short replies, before it happens again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I can dream isn't the first Elvis song I think of from that era by any means...

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...but it popped into my mind last night and seemed a perfect choice for right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the perfect choice - Wrote about it over at my place 4 years ago.

      https://jukeboxtimemachine.com/2016/03/07/if-i-can-dream-elvis-presley/

      Like you I also have a fondness for the big performances he gave in his early jump-suited era - He really gave it his all. Suspicious Minds was always blistering.

      Delete
  9. Elvis Fridays has a lovely ring to it and what other reason do you need? I've grown to appreciate (the original one) more and more the older I've got, so sounds good to me. So sorry to hear you've had another shitty working week.... yes, keep the dreams alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has a lovely ring to it and reminds me of Kenny Wednesdays and Randy Tuesdays! They were fun.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...