Thursday 11 June 2020

Guest Post Thursday #2: Lynchie Meets Elton


I've been saying for ages that our old pal Lynchie ought to have a blog of his own as his musical knowledge is extensive and his former career seems to contain lots of juicy stories. Well, I haven't yet persuaded him to set up a blog of his own... but I have persuaded him to share one of those stories here. Hopefully it won't be the last: I'm sure we all want to hear his Jerry Hall story (and more!)

Take it away, Lynchie...

In 1970, I was given the job as a junior reporter with DC Thomson the Scottish publisher of newspapers, magazines and comics such as the Beano & The Dandy.

At DCT's you worked for all the publications - not that I wrote for all of them, but one of my first jobs was to fill 2 pages of the very couthy and cosy tabloid weekly the "People's Journal". I concentrated mainly on local band in Aberdeen City and the North East of Scotland but I also received free tickets to gigs by major acts of the early 1970's and various record companies sent me free albums and 45's to review.

And here's the killer - I got PAID for doing this.

The Elton John story was set in 1972 when he and his band were touring the Honky Chateau album*** and I went along to see the show at Aberdeen's Music Hall. It was customary for me to wait til the show was over, then go to what was known as The Green Room to do an interview, and so it was with Elton. 

He'd already done an encore, but as we were chatting about the new album, the Music Hall manager came in and told him: 

"You've got to go back out again - that crowd won't leave". 

And you could hear the thousand plus audience stamping their feet and yelling "Elton! Elton!" 

Elton said OK and they prepared to go back onstage. I'd also been chatting with guitarist Davey Johnstone who I knew from a previous gig at the same venue when he was in an acoustic folkie band (barely 200 at that gig). As they started to move, he and the drummer Nigel Olsson said I should go onstage with them and handed me a tambourine. They said something along the lines of "It'll be fun." 
I got as far as the small set of steps leading up to the stage and froze.

I chickened out. 

I got more interviews with Elton and Davey after they blew the roof off the place with their final encore but, to this day, I regret missing my chance to play live with Elton John and his band. Poor me.

And that's my story about me and the Elton John


*** The album featured the first recording of "Rocket Man".


JC, The Vinyl Villain, returns with another guest post next Thursday. After that... well, I'm open to offers.



9 comments:

  1. Brilliant!
    Further proof that we need a blog by Lynchie or at the very least more of his stories at your place or elsewhere
    Jerry Hall next please Lynchie

    ReplyDelete
  2. George currently has a window in his diary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The door is always open to George...as is the window.

      Delete
  3. Superb.....but almost 50 years of regrets!

    Don't say never Lynchie....just earlier this year, at the age of 56, I made my recording debut after a lifetime of looking on at singers/bands and thinking 'wouldn't it be great to do that?'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JC - I'm a pessimist by nature, 'cept when I'm on one of my manic highs.

      Delete
  4. A magnificent piece of writing, worthy of Dickens at his finest yet with the merest hint of Elmore Leonard and James Elroy's L.A. Quartet, shot through with Adrian Henri's poetic humour. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant story! Thanks Lynchie and look forward to more (Jerry Hall in particular). Totally understand you chickening out... it was the tambourine, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Rol on persuading Lynchie out of retirement. I knew he would have some great “stories” up his sleeve and this is one of them. I think I was just a bit too young for that concert but great to hear of Elton up there on stage at the Music Hall. I hope there will be more in the weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...