Friday 26 June 2020

Elvis Fridays #2: Salad, Chips & Cookies


I had to start this week's Elvis Friday with the Sesame Street version of the Elvis Costello song I posted last week. Thanks very much to Rigid Digit for bringing this to my attention. It was too good to stay languishing in a comment box though...




The purpose of Elvis Fridays is to cheer me (and maybe you too) up after another long hard week of lockdown working. And that certainly did the trick.

Which other Elvis might I call upon to put a smile on my face this morning?

How about this one...?



And what about the King himself? What has he got that can compete with Kirsty and the Cookie Monster?

How about this rare live recording of Elvis singing Tony Joe White's classic Polk Salad Annie in his Vegas years. People make fun of the Vegas years, but I watch a performance like this, and damn it, what I wouldn't give to have been in that audience. From a 2020 perspective, 1970 looks like the place to be...



6 comments:

  1. Loving Elvis Fridays. How has no-one thought of it before?

    I too love the early Vegas years. (Should there be a clip here or has it gone awol?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, clip now restored, thank you.

      Delete
    2. Fabulous clip - He really was enjoying being back giving live performances after the Hollywood years and songs like these suit him so well, obviously. What moves too - He really felt the music like no other.

      Delete
  2. I'd like to think you can find room in your heart for Dread Zeppelin - fronted, as I'm no doubt you're aware, by Tort Elvis. Here they are with Heartbreaker (At the End of Lonely Street).

    ReplyDelete
  3. So ... if you're taking requests/suggestions - if it's not already on your radar - may I point you in the direction of this chap:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Brown_(Elvis_impersonator)

    He's sort of doing what you would think Elvis in the 90s/00s would've done - taking popular songs of the moment and Elvis-ifying them.
    Whole Lotta Rosie - Pretty Vacant - Come As You Are - Sweet Home Alabama - Take Me Home Country Roads
    (to name but 5)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three for three on the clips, Rol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...