Thursday 29 December 2022

My Top 22 of 2022: #2


2. Frank Turner - FTHC

When Frank Turner started talking about his need to “restate his purpose as an artist” on his ninth album, there was a clear danger of him disappearing up his own arse. Much as I like Frank, there’s always a danger of him going full-Bono, such is the self-belief that’s driven his career so far. Fortunately, that self-belief is tempered with a healthy dollop of insecurity, and when Frank lets that show, he’s a far more appealing prospect. On FTHC, following a couple of records on which he dabbled in Radio 2 pleasing pop-rock and feminist folk rock (both well-intentioned, just not quite hitting the mark), Frank really did go back to basics, delivering his most enjoyable record to date… even if it does start off a little bit shouty.

Frank Turner – Non Serviam

This anthem for not serving The Man hearkens back to the very beginnings of Frank’s career in punk band Million Dead, and it’s an appropriate opener as so much of this album is about growing older and the changes that come with it. He’s over 40 now, recently married, and perhaps most telling of all, has left his home in London for a quieter life in the sticks. All of these seismic changes are touched upon here, along with his struggles with addiction, the loss of old friends and more.

Frank Turner – Farewell To My City

I got tired of London, not tired of life
I’m so sorry, my darling, to leave you behind
We had a hell of a run there, I must go down to the sea
While you’re always changing
It wasn’t you, it was me

Frank Turner – The Work

I’m sorry about the argument at the weekend
I should have listened to what you said in the first place
And I should have been your friend
But I finally tidied up the garage like you asked me
I put some laundry on
Both our clothes this time and not just mine

Frank Turner – Little Life

When they closed down the restaurants, boarded up the bars
We moved out of the city, bought a second hand car
Tried to figure out standing still, for the first time in a long, long time
Cut back on the sleeping pills, and the overkill, and the overtime

I guess that this little life
Is gonna have to do
It’s only a little life
Mostly just me and you

Frank’s turbulent relationship with his father is also a focus, from his early life when he felt completely abandoned…

Frank Turner - Fatherless

Well, here’s a tale I’ve not yet told
I was evicted when I was 8 years old
I was shipped off to a dormitory
Full of kids who made no sense to me
And I cried myself to sleep each night
For 3 straight weeks until I was dead inside
But I’m not asking for your pity
It’s just that fairytales about fathers make me angry

…to the starling changes that led to a late-life reconciliation between father and son…

Frank Turner – Miranda

My father’s called Miranda these days
She’s a proud transgender woman
And my resentment has started to fade
‘Cause it was never about who she was
Just the way that he behaved
And now my father is Miranda
And we’re okay

In truth, this is one of those records where I could quote every lyric, because there’s not a dull song and they’ve all had some effect on me. It could well have been my record of the year, were it not for some old friends who actually managed to turn the dial up to 11. But that shouldn’t diminish Frank’s achievement, because he’s truly delivered on the promise of his fabled rock n roll beliefs in this album, baring his soul to touch hearts and minds, and make you want to pump your fist in the air in defiance and celebration. Two tracks in particular seal the deal for me…

Frank Turner – Punches

Hey, every once in a few months when
All the punches land that day
I’m a tiger, a prize-fighter
At least worth a damn

And then this one, which is pretty much my Song of the Year...

Don’t you ever wake up and suspect
That you were simply never cut out to be
The kind of person they expect
The person you intended to be?



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...