Tuesday 20 December 2022

My Top 22 of 2022: #13 - 11

13. Father John Misty - Chloë and the Next 20th Century

I know a lot of people don't like Father John Misty, or at the very least don't "get" him. I'm not sure this is the record to change your mind, though it is far more accessible than some of his records if you're a fan of jazzy crooners of the 50s and 60s, performing Bacharach and tunes from the great American songbook. Because musically, that's the sound Josh Tillman has gone for here: lush orchestration and lounge swing. Lyrically, it's a much more complex beast, fragments of stories that might hint at a wider novel (Truman Capote meets Scott Fitzgerald) if you had the patience to piece them together. If all that sounds a tad pretentious, I direct you to the Pitchfork review, which will blow your mind. 

If you can get past all that, this is a great record...

Father John Misty - Buddy’s Rendezvous

Father John Misty - Funny Girl



12. Dry Cleaning - Stumpwork

If ever the phrase "from the sublime to the ridiculous" was apt... we follow Father John with Dry Cleaning, a band that are just as Marmite, but in a very different way. I used to be on the other side of the fence when it came to Dry Cleaning, but this year, a startling metamorphosis occurred. It was all the fault of Gary Ashby, a tortoise that went missing during lockdown. 

People who know more about music than me say that Florence Shaw's rambling, stream of consciousness / bored stand-up comedy routine vocals flow alongside the Wire / Magazine guitars and curious post-punk rhythms the rest of the band are playing in complementary fashion. I hear it slightly differently. When I was a university student, we would record random conversations from people on the bus or in the cafe and then pull them apart for linguistic analysis. Oh, the wild student nights I had! Anyway, Florence's "lyrics" remind me of those conversations I recorded way back when, and the fact that there's some music going on in the background seems almost incidental to her. I prefer the idea that she doesn't even know she's in a band... these guys with instruments just keep following her around, soundtracking her day.  

Oh, and much as I still love Gary Ashby, the track that's obsessing me the most at the moment is Kwenchy Kups, which appears to feature a gloriously passive-aggressive argument about a trip to the zoo. 

Well, things are shit, but they're gonna okay
And I'm gonna see the otters

There aren't any otters

There are

Well, we can check

And I'm gonna see the water caterpillar

There's no such thing

Hmm?

Nice idea





11. Helen Love - This Is My World

"This is awful," said Louise, when the title track from Helen Love's latest album popped up on one of Sam's in-car CDs. "I can sing better than that."

This interaction alone was enough to propel Helen Love's latest album into my Top Ten of 2022... almost. That aside though, this is still the 11th best album I've heard this year, an intensely personal record that takes in childhood nostalgia through the eyes of someone who's recently lost her parents; Born To Run rewritten by someone who was quite happy staying in Swansea and never running anywhere, thanks. 

Musically, this is a broader and more emotional affair than the usual DIY punk pop you might expect from Helen Love, while that title track could well be the best thing the Pet Shop Boys and the Lightning Seeds have done this century. In interview, Helen spoke openly about this change of direction, and also saw fit to answer Louise's snipe...

"I don’t get up in the morning shouting ‘Hey Ho Let’s Go’ to the dog, it’s not all disco dancing round my place, I have had bouts of pretty bad depression, just because loads of my songs are happy doesn’t mean I am. There has always been a part of me that  wants to be Anne Briggs or Sandy Denny. My God, if I could sing or play properly that’s what I would do, play folk clubs and live in a big jumper."

Despite all that, this is a joyous, occasionally heartbreaking, often hilarious record. And don't worry, Helen, I've heard her sing. You're safe.






5 comments:

  1. I think I have mentioned my love for Kwenchy Kups previously. I’m also rather taken with the track that namechecks Northampton for no reason at all.

    You should try the earlier stuff again - the video for Unsmart Lady is a great visual version of the band just rocking up and soundtracking Florence’s words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was me btw - i have difficulty commenting here as anything other than anon. Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen Love - you posted earlier in the year, and I wrote myself an enthusiastic note to explore further.
    I then promptly forgot about it, and now you have reminded me of my failings.
    I must rectify that very soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just really impressed that you still discover new albums and can put together such a list. Yes, I too remember your mention of Helen Love earlier in the year but can't say I've explored further yet either. Hats off to you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...