Thursday 15 December 2022

My Top 22 of 2022: #22-20


Another top year, eh? The less said the better.

Still, at least there's been some decent music. Beginning today, I'll be counting down my Top 22 albums of 2022. Here's the first three...


22. Bret McKenzie - Songs Without Jokes

The news that half of the Flight of the Conchords duo was releasing his debut solo album got me very excited earlier this year, although the title "Songs Without Jokes" had me worried... because I love with songs with jokes. The critical consensus that serious music should be bereft of gags is one I'm continually railing against... and will continue to do so later in this countdown. 

As part of the FOTC, and on various movie soundtracks, Bret McKenzie has shown himself to be adept in a wide range of musical styles, from rock to rap, though his heart clearly belongs to the classic 70s singer-songwriters. Randy Newman, Harry Nilsson and James Taylor are heavy influences on this record, with a splash of yacht rock thrown in for good measure. In that, it pushes all the right buttons for me... though I wouldn't have minded a few more... y'know... jokes.






21. Midland - The Last Resort: Greetings From

In comparison with the last few years, there are fewer country and Americana records in my countdown of 2022. That might be because there haven't been many big releases from my favourite artists, or it could be that my tastes are swinging back in other directions. Probably a combination of the two.

Midland are as country as it gets. Well, "Neotraditional" country, whatever that is. I think it means they wear big hats. To me, they sound like The Eagles, if The Eagles had come from Texas and never stopped off at the Hotel California. They're hard-luck, heartbroken, heavy-drinking bar band types, though their music is pretty upbeat, with a second splash of yacht rock (twice in one post!) to keep me smiling.  

This is their third album, and it doesn't appears to have done half as well on the US Country charts as the first two. No idea why; I enjoyed it just as much.






20. Death Cab For Cutie - Asphalt Meadows

DCFC's 10th album was conceived under lockdown, with band members building the tracks remotely, in a process lead singer Ben Gibbard describes as ""chain-letter songwriting". As with all Death Cab albums, it's a slow burner, but given time it gets under your skin and plays with your emotions. As with a lot of the records in this countdown, it's about growing old, even though these guys are still in their 40s. Spring chickens.

In every movie I watch from the '50s
There's only one thought that swirls
Around my head now
And that's that everyone there on the screen
Yeah, everyone there on the screen
Well, they're all dead now
They're all dead now





1 comment:

  1. Bret McKenzie sounds worthy of further investigation - there's a certain Billy Joel vibe going on in there.
    Death Cab For Cutie have passed me by - time for a Spotify review

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...