Thursday 23 November 2023

Title Fight #3: Parkas, Police & Replacements

We're back with more song titles that did their job - made me give the associated tune a little more attention. Which catches your eye... and does it also catch your ear?


1. I See Hawks In LA - My Parka Saved Me

One of the tricks writers use to engage our interest, I tell my rapt* students, is to create questions in the reader's mind. A really good title or opening line will do this. This song title caught my attention, and pleasingly the story that went along with it lived up to my expectations. Great opening line too!

I got stoned after breaking up with my boyfriend
And he became a Born Again Christian

I See Hawks In LA are from Los Angeles, where clearly they keep their eyes to the skies, and their tongues firmly in their cheeks. 

(*I like to imagine all my students are rapt, even if they're not.)

2. The Panic Brothers - I've Forgotten What It Is That I Was Drinking to Forget

Here's a recommendation from Martin, and funnily enough, it's a band he introduced me to many moons ago. I liked them so much, I bought the CD, as Victor Kiam might have said if he'd been a music blogger rather than a silver haired, razor blade hawking huckster.

3. Gene - The Police Will Never Find You 

Not that I'm going out of my way to be mean to Martin, but he's going to have a tough decision this week when it comes to selecting his favourite tune. Will it be the one he put forward... or this, from one of his favourite bands?

I'm a huge Gene fan, but they never presented themselves as tough guys, so when they released their third album in 1999, it was quite a shock to see them getting seriously menacing, with both this and the final track, You'll Never Walk Again.  

Perhaps the reason I liked these two song titles so much (particularly coming from a bunch of fey milksops like Gene) was that they reminded me of the time I got beaten up by some thugs in high school and made the mistake of shouting up at them, from the playground where I lay, "you'll never know my ultimate strength!" This is what reading too many Spider-Mam comics at an impressionable age will do to you. Oh, how we they laughed.

4. Frank Zappa - My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama

I might as well get the father of Dweezil, Moon Unit, Ahmet and Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen out of the way, since when it comes to wacky song titles, he's up there with the best of them. So many to choose from, including What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body?Son Of Suzy Creamcheese, and, of course, Don't Eat The Yellow Snow. By comparison, My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama seems quite tame, but it's the one I went for.


5. Sandra's Wedding - The Hopeful Boy Replacement Service

As usual, we close with a contemporary tune. This one's from a band that the ever-reliable John Medd turned me onto earlier this year. Sandra's Wedding come from Goole, because somebody has to, and they've amassed quite the back catalogue of wry, witty, observational tunes that bring to mind Paul Heaton at his best. This one, the title track from their latest album, was irresistible, taking me right back to my teens. It's the sort of song Stephen Duffy might have written back in those glorious days of yore. Shades of Stuart Murdoch too.
 


8 comments:

  1. I'll go for the Hawks, mainly because they are also responsible for the finely named "Stop Driving Like An Asshole"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been a shoo-in had I not featured it here already a year or so back...

      https://histopten.blogspot.com/2020/06/grumpy-old-men-songs-12-stop-driving.html

      Delete
    2. Apologies, must have missed that.

      Delete
    3. There will be a test at the end of the course, you know.

      Delete
  2. Blimey, that was many moons ago. Looks like I wrote proper blog posts back then too. Whatever happened...

    Anyway, back to the title fight. I think "The Hopeful Boy Replacement Service" is probably the best title here, but best track? Well, much as I obviously love the indie Everly stylings of The Panic Brothers, it has to be Gene for me, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A suggestion for a future round: https://youtu.be/5Xt1laqDj6U?si=SfrrrUVBGwqc5uVm

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...