Tuesday 14 November 2023

Namesakes #59: The Squares


Attention, my fellow squares - here's some bands just for us! But which ones have to right angles for you? Cards on the table - in over a year doing this feature, I've yet to come across such a consistently high standard of tunes. See if you agree...


THE SQUARES #1

Students of Northern Illinois University back in 1959, with a very sexy intro to a pretty standard rock n roll instrumental. Treat this one as a palate whetter...


THE SQUARES #2

Can't find anything out about these guys other that that they released this in 1965... and I'm betting George will love it. Or hate it. One or the other.


SQUARES #3

Formerly known as The Red Squares, these Danish guys ditched any Russian connections by the time of this 1977 single. I promise you this is the most 70s-sounding thing you will hear all week. I'm not sure if the Rubettes sued, but they should have done. 


THE SQUARES #4

In San Francisco in the late 70s, Andy Milton, Jeff Campitelli and Joe Satriani formed The Squares. One of them would go on to become much more famous than the other two...


THE SQUARES #5

If ever I find the time to compile a Celebrity Jukebox entry for Buddy Holly, I imagine it'll go on all day. Here's one song that would definitely feature, from Leeds band The Squares who got together in 1978 and disappeared two years later. Another track I discovered on Cherry Red's excellent Where Were You? compilation.
 

THE SQUARES #6

A 1981 band consisting of Web Faktor, Jett Jones Babo and Bear Lee... I mean, why weren't these guys megastars for their names alone?



SQUARES #7

They came from Indiana without a definite article in 1985, then migrated to Milwaukee. And that's all I know.


THE SQUARES #8

A bunch of Nancy boys... that is, they came from the French city of Nancy in the early 90s. Discogs tells me they "splitted" in 1995. This is from their final album, Squarification.


THE SQUARES #9

Surf-rockers out of Atlanta, Georgia in the late 90s...


THE SQUARES #10

US power-poppers from 2006. Quality.


THE SQUARES #11

Also in 2006, though apparently it's a different band. And they released a song called Call Me When Your Boyfriend's Dead, which I may well feature here again on a future edition of Title Fight.


THE SQUARES #12

Caroline Trettine (I know Martin's a fan of her solo work) and Nick Jacobs of The Blue Aeroplanes are joined by Fyfe Dangerfield from Guillemots on this release from 2017.


THE SQUARES #13

Some contemporary psychedelic folk-rock from Lisbon closes today's proceedings.


Which of the above are Hip to be Square? All of them, if you ask me! (Well, most of them. There were a couple I've already forgotten.) George claims he occasionally makes a playlist from the tracks in this feature. I have to confess I've never been tempted... until today. 


14 comments:

  1. Do you think I've nothing better to do than listen to this set of squares?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure that's the case.

      Delete
    2. Well, you're wrong. I have to go to the ironmongers and buy some jubilee clips. (I did not know the name in english, my partner had to tell me, so I've no idea how to ask for them here)

      Delete
    3. Mr Google is your friend.
      Show them a picture.

      Delete
    4. I've got one ready

      Delete
    5. I had to google jubilee clips myself. I thought they might be a punk rock thing.

      Delete
    6. They are called abraçadeiras, which is logical as abraçar is to hug (when the bloke told me, I did a hugging motion, which made him smile). Lesson over.

      Delete
    7. When you said "Abracadeira", did he reach out and grab ya?

      Delete
  2. A tough one this week. No duffers and got better as it progresses.No absolute standouts however.
    A playlist is clearly the answer.
    Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was despairing of hearing anything decent up to an including #6, but thankfully there was a slight improvement in the next set. And #12 is so good I went off to bandcamp and played the rest. So that is my preferência

    ReplyDelete
  4. Squares 12 for me. Although Squares 6's Web Faktor, Jett Jones Babo and Bear Lee... weren't they supporting characters in the latest Disney Star Wars retread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they may hang out in a cantina somewhere...

      Delete
  5. 12 for me as well.

    The Young & Resnick who wrote and produced 2 are presumably Kenny Young & Artie Resnick who are in the Songwriter's Hall of Fame - not for this though. Their biggest hit together was "Under The Boardwalk". After they went their separate ways Artie got into the bubblegum scene, being responsible for such delights as "Yummy Yummy Yummy". Kenny moved over to the UK, discovered Clodagh Rodgers and then become the guitarist and songwriter for Fox - a role worthy of the Hall of Fame on its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Further proof that you should be doing thus series yourself, Ernie. If only you'd come up with the idea first!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...