Friday 24 November 2023

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #105: Blowing Leaves


The leaf blowers, is there anything more futile?


There's a guy at the hospital where I work whose sole purpose over the past couple of weeks appears to be blowing leaves. Every morning he's there, blowing them out of the road. You can guess the rest. It's particularly satisfying to watch on a windy day. Makes me feel a little less worthless.


Is there any greater metaphor for the futility of existence than the leaf blower? There was a time I'd have found this depressing, but I take reassurance in the strangest things these days. Like erstwhile airwaves pilot, Charlie Dore, still making music and finding inspiration in the strangest of places. Here she uses the drone of a leaf blower as backing for a wonderful tune about the circular nature of life that's a lot more subtle and moving than Elton's Lion King song

They're blowing leaves,
They're blowing leaves,
But I believe
They will be back again...



2 comments:

  1. Love how the Shat declares, "I can't get behind so-called singers that can't carry a tune, get paid for talking... how easy is that? Well, maybe I could get behind that..." Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why he's so great. The ability to take the piss out-of himself equals the size of his ego.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...